Need help with material editor

Maxing

I'm a total beginner using Max 2013 and have a couple problems using the material editor. When I add a bitmap image (a robot) to my material in compact mode it shows up as a bunch of small images like this

3dsmaxeditor.jpg

and when I use the slate material editor nothing happens the image doesn't show up at all.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It really doesn't matter how the image looks in the editor. The important thing is how it looks on your object. But having said that, the "Tiling" option in the Materials Editor affects how the image displays. See below.

The first image has "Tiling" set to 12.0 for both "U" and "V". The second image has "Tiling" set to 1.0. Adjusting this setting will change the scale of the image in the editor, but it will also change the scale of the image on your object. So be aware and use the "Tiling" option in conjunction with a UVW map to get your image to display correctly in both the editor and the object it's applied to.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks that helped, Just curious I noticed you have use-real world scale unchecked, when I uncheck mine the image no longer appears on the material.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Maxing

When you use "real world scale" your options change from "Tiling" to "Size". So in order to see your image you just need to increase the "Size" width and height settings. I typically leave "real world scale" unchecked. It's just the way I work.