Creating a 2D .dwg from a 3D Inventor file

DreadPirateRoberts

Hi all, I'm sort of new to Inventor 2013 and was wondering if you could help with something...

I want to take a 3D assembly that I made in Inventor, create a orthographic projection, and create a 2D view of it only in the XY plane as a .dwg.

I know I can convert the assembly to a .dwg and open it in autoCAD 2013, but this still maintains the z components (which normally would be good, but not in this case). Is there a way I can project/map the 3D drawing onto the XY plane to get an orthographic view that is actually 2D?

I maintain a large database of part drawings, but the program that accesses this database can only read drawings that are 2D; isolated to the XY plane. I could, of course, in AutoCAD draw a Front, Top, Side etc. view and upload that, but orthographic projects would be ideal. Also...drawing in 3D is much more fun than 2D.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Simply start a new dwg in Inventor and place your view (Inventor will create the 2D view for you).

2d views.png This is covered in the Help>Learing Tools>Tutorials

hmmm... I started a new dwg in inventor and placed my view, no problem there. But now I'm having trouble editing it in AutoCAD (specifically, removing all blocks but one and specifying the name of the remaining block, and placing the drawing on a new layer. These are all steps necessary to get it to work in my database).

Can I not edit that .dwg in AutoCAD?

Im searching in the Autodesk Wikihelp, but I haven't found that to be too helpful in other endeavors... Not sure why I'm having so much trouble if its only a 4 step process :)

Thanks

The flatshot command seemed to do the job. I was able to manipulate my part in 3D to the desired view, then type FLATSHOT to project that image onto the XY Plane.

I was then able to select that block and edit away!

Thanks all, for your help