Need some help with CTB and STB files.

StrictlyCorso

Hi people,

since this is my first post on this website, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Manny and Im currently a Architecture major in my first semester in San Diego, CA...

Im currently trying to receive extra credit in my AutoCad class to bump up my grade to an "A".... My teacher is allowing me to choose a topic in AutoCAD that we havent covered and teach the class that topic for extra credit. Well, I chose creating CTB and STB files.

In order for me to recieve credit I need to:

• state the difference between an STB and a CTB file
  • create a CTB file and draw a simple drawing using it (like 4 walls and some doors)

• show the class how to create a CTB file using the wizard.

This is probably some pretty straight forward stuff to many of you, but, I really would like some advice from some professionals like yourselves. Any advice would help.... Im looking for ideas on how to go about this assignment, and how to teach a class on creating CTB files.

Thanks for the help in advance. you rock!

this topic was recenly debated and people brought up good points about each

check here

as for the others, you can search posts on this site or just google it and find some good tutorials...

if you finish it and are willing to share...there is a forum on this site for tutorials and im sure many people would benifit from you sharing your completed tutorial with us.

After your research and you put together your notes for teaching the subject, can we get a copy?

In fact, you can practise the class on us. I'll volunteer to be the troublesome student that doesn't understand no mater how clear you explain it.

It won't be a tough act for me

There is a lot of misinformation concerning CTB and STB and so I am offering this as my input to the issue. I like STB’s over CTB’s for my situation,

You will have to explore the alternatives and make an informed choice for your office.

Advantages \ Disadvantages

CTB =

Plot style name (IE:Color_43) is not intuitive to plot color or LW or gray scale

26 linewieghts, same as in STB

Lots of legacy drawings that need to be brought forward and used again, easier to keep

CTB Plot style name cannot be changed

Limited to plot colors of 1-255, other colors show on screen but are plotted out to 1-255

Familiar system still used by majority of users

Plotting b/w there are fewer reasons to switch as STB was meant more for electronic color plotting (according to Autodesk)

If I want 15 colors to plot screened and medium

thickness I must edit 15 plot style names, then 15 more for other LW, etc

Sharing files between offices means that the plot style names will always be there, just defined differently for each color, still have to go through and

check plot name style to plotted color, width, etc.

XREFs, the xref file can be set to plot to a thinner line weight but the color will be one color displayed

on screen, or you will have to pick each color and assign a plot style name

STB =

Plot style names are intuitive (IE: BW 0.40, Thin Color, Medium, GRAY

0.25) for knowing color and LW plotted using Bylayer allows familiar colors known to plot thin, thick etc, to still be obvious on screen

Plotting black and white and color on the same sheet is easier due to intuitive plot style names

26 lineweights, same as in CTB

Probably can get by with 15 or 20 plot style names, CTB you always have 255 all named with a color

If 15 colors need to plot screened and medium thickness only 1 plot style name is edited and assigned to multiple colors, results in much fewer plot style names needed

If other offices use their own style names, using their files will result in assigning the plot style name to ones you use, unless everyone agrees to use

the same plot styles

XREF's, the xref file can be set to plot to a thinner line weight with one plot style name and the colors on screen will still display the same color, and they

can be set to display one color if need be

Editing the plot styles can be done

through the layer manager or properties palette

STB's work just fine, and just like CTB's you must have standards in place

You can still set colors to indicate lineweights just like CTB's

You can set a layer to a color and have it plot to any lineweight with a plotstyle

You can set each object to a plot style or mix and match, but this is not a strategy for working drawings, more for one off presentation drawings, etc.

More flexibility in setting up and this equals more ways for users to screw it up

LINKs:

A good article discussing the differences between STB and CTB.

Cadalyst.com

http://management.cadalyst.com/cadma....jsp?id=102922>

A good article on one firm's adoption of STB's. This is just one way of

many ways to set up STB standards so don't read this as the only way to use

STB's.

AUGI.com

May/June 2005 issue, page 24