create tangent workplane

dodyryda

Hi..

I'm pretty new to inventor and just gasping it so apologies if this is obvious but I can't see it.. I'm trying to create a workplane tangent to a cylinder that I have extruded and bent but whatever I try it will not create the plane.

It selects the surface (goes green) but will not create the workplane.. can anyone tell me why?

Have you selected the plane that you want your new work plane to be parallel to, or point / axis that you want your new work plane to be normal to?

I'm trying to create a workplane tangent to a cylinder that I have extruded ...

I want to place a tangent workplane on the short bent section ....

That is not a cylinder.... ...it is a portion of a torus....

Your sketches are not constrained http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Workplane1 is not needed.

Workplane2 is not needed.

Sweep would be easier than Bend Part, therefore the Extrusion1 is not needed either.

thanks I'll jave a look at redrawing but why will it not create a workplane on the curved surface?

It will, if you know how - but there were more basic problems that need to be mastered first.

ok another example I wish to place a workplane on the edge of this 'torus' to bore a hole through it yet it will not create the workplane.. this is a 'plane' is the ass!!:lol: can someone tell me how to create a workplane on the edge of a curved surface

fork.ipt

The part is symmetrical - Extrude symmetrical.

Workplane1 not needed.

Sketch2 not constrained (not even concentric or coincident centerpoints, how do you do this?)

ok another example I wish to place a workplane on the edge of this 'torus' to bore a hole through it ...

There is no torus feature in this part - only two cylindrical features (and the box features).

And your cylidrical features aren't mechanically connected - this doesn't make logical sense to me?

Connected Cylinders.png

... constrain ...plane I need ...

Two different problems. New Workplane can be created anywhere, but basic geometry should be mastered first. What I often see is no need to create the workplane in the first place. My motto is "Get Lazy" - do it the easy way.

ok.. seems I had inadvertently switch off some of the auto constraints which completely my fault. now worked it out but thanks for all your help