Wish List

redbeardcad

After the last issue with ACAD and Vista my IT director has finally decided I can have a new computer... In April. So I need to know what people think would be good graphics cards, processors, etc. for ACAD 2012 & 2013. I say 12 because most times I'm in 13 something goes wrong (Vista). So I have gone back to 12.

Some of you will be proud... I'm learning how to use the Ribbon now and I guess I'll have to learn Windows 7 too. I like my XP and toolbars and I'll miss them. Its like loosing a finger.

Thanks for any input.

Oh, it has too be a Dell computer. :)

Why does it have to be a Dell? You've just limited yourself to the choices they offer. What if there was a graphics card you really wanted and Dell did not offer it? Would Dell be willing to acquire the card, install it, and still cover the warranty?

I'm sure there is a buget, but I'm not privy to that info. So I'll shoot for the stars hoping to get to the moon.

Yes, Dell is who they are enslaved to.

If I can give them enough info to justify some or all the spec maybe Dell will put the stuff in. Wishful thinking, I know.

The same policy is in effect at the company I work for too with the exception of the two of us that use AutoCAD day-in and day-out. IT had no clue as to what constituted a robust system for CAD use. If I had left the choice to them or some Dell sales rep who knows what piece of garbage I would have been stuck with.

We tried one Dell Precision workstation during the downturn in the economy. The bean counters shoved it down our throats. We were lucky to still be working so we took it. What a dog. Could not get out of its own way. When we finally had the opportunity we swapped it out for a Xi MTower PCIe workstation. BIG difference in performance.

No problems with Dell, my last one at home lasted for 8 years before I bought a new one and sold it on Craigslist. You can get a lemon in anything, that is what warranties are for.

Ok here is what "I" would look for...

CPU = core i7 Sandy Bridge based

not sure if Dell offers anything with the new AMD FX Zambezi cpu. The i7 is a hyper thread quad core unit while the AMD actually has 8 cores.

Ram = all you can get. Ram is cheap no less than 12gb.

OS = Windows7 Pro 64-bit all the way.

Video card = nVidia is the one to get here. If just AutoCAD and no revit and or inventor then a Geforce GTX series will work fine. GTX 660 Ti will work.

Look for a solid state main drive (256gb) and a normal magnetic drive for storage (1tb)

DVD burner and I think you are set.