Drawing Units Option is gone in 08

I recently started a new job and am familiarizing myself with the existing drawings here. I am working on version 08 (was previously on 07). I opened a dwg in 08 and received an error message "Newer AEC Object Detected" stating that some commands would not be available. With no other option I opened the drawing and discovered it was in metric. I went up to the Format tab as I normally would to change the Units to Architectual and discovered that there was no option to change the units. Even typing in Units in the command bar didnt do anything.

It seems as if this drawing was originally created in 07 and now OPENS in 08 but you lose commands??? It used to be that you couldnt even open something it was created in a older version, no? Luckily a PC in the office does have 07 and I was able to open it there to change the units over but I cant do this every time....any ideas how I can resolve this issue?

As far as I know one could always open a drawing done in an earlier version of AutoCAD with the newest version.

There should be no loss of commands opening the drawing. Sounds like the installation has some bugs. You could try the REPAIR option.

The message "Newer AEC Object Detected" means that the file was last saved in a NEWER version. To fix this, get Drawing True View free from AutoDe$k and convert the drawing to your current format. The loss of commands has to do with the AEC object. They could be newer commands or it's simply referring to you not having the vertical product that creates those objects.

For your units, not sure on that one. Make sure CMDDIA is set to 1. It's also possible that the box is off screen.

The message "Newer AEC Object Detected" means that the file was last saved in a NEWER version. To fix this, get Drawing True View free from AutoDe$k and convert the drawing to your current format. The loss of commands has to do with the AEC object. They could be newer commands or it's simply referring to you not having the vertical product that creates those objects.

For your units, not sure on that one. Make sure CMDDIA is set to 1. It's also possible that the box is off screen.

You have that slightly off, it would have been CREATED/EDITED by a newer version at some time (most likely a vertical), for him to open it with 2008, it would have been necessary to SAVE AS to an earlier version from a NEWER version. DWG TrueView might fix this, I do not think so though. The proper procedure would be to have the originator of the file to "EXPORT TO AUTOCAD" from whatever program last created this.

As for the missing commands....

"Newer AEC Object Detected" stating that some commands would not be available.

Yeah, that was before my coffee but for the quick fix without going to the person who saved it down, Drawing TrueView does explode AEC objects when converting just like AutoCAD does in the export option. I have used it many times for just that purpose.

DWG Trueview doesn't ALWAYS fix it, probably depends on what created the AEC objects. Sometimes saving as a R12 .dxf will explode them.

He might could try Export to AutoCAD from 2008 if that ability exists. (Actual commands are EXPORTTOAUTOCAD for .)

Nevermind, I found a LISP to EXPLODE AEC OBJECTS.

Give that a try.