Customized menus with block insertions

Ryan G

Is there away to use a customized menu drop list to insert a block? If so has anyone figured out the macro code for it to work in AutoCAD 2012?

I have a code now that allows me to do what I want in AutoCAD 2002 & AutoCAD 2007, but the code breaks at the C:, it does not follow the full path to the location of the file that I am trying to insert. I mean I can do the old fashion way of inserting blocks into a drawing but was trying to create a drop list so I can just pick what I want to insert.

Any information on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ryan

AutoCAD 2012 and you're still using drop down menus? Two words: Tool Palettes.

It's been a while since I've done this but using AutoCAD 2013 I was able to insert a block of a ball valve via the Draw drop-down menu. Maybe you typed something wrong. The macro looked like this:

^C^CInsert;C:/DWG/PIDs/Symbols/ballv.dwg;

Edited by ReMark

Yeah the code that I was using looked similar to the one that you posted. Mine looked like:

^C^C-Insert;C:\AutoCAD Symbols\Figure 1\Valve

I noticed that my slashes were going the wrong way and that I didn't have a semi-colon at the end of the code.

I tried your code (changing the file location) and it worked great.

I have tried the Tool Palettesbut for some reason they are not showing up for me to use. Any information on this would be greatful.

Thanks,

Ryan

On the Ribbon: View tab > Palettes panel > Tool Palettes.

In AutoCAD Help look at "About Creating Tool Palettes." There are several methods for creating Tool Palettes. Drag and drop blocks is one method.

And the new way is drag...drop...done. Unless the OP is carrying some customization over from twenty years ago I'd say it was time to update his approach and utilize Tool Palettes.