I need help shelling a part!!!

MKR

Edit Sketch1

Right Mouse Button (here on out RMB) and select Show all Constraints

Show Constraints.jpg

You have a 90° dimension that is not needed.

Delete it.

Add a Horizontal Constraint the horizontal line.

Is the 3.004 really measureable? What is the manufacturing tolerance?

Can you make that 3 instead (there are 2 other lines that are 3 in the same feature area, maybe add an = constraint to all 3 so that only one dimension is needed).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• MKR

• Bishop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, done, done, and done.

Yeah I screwed up last night. The very last thing I did before I saved the drawing was changed up the overall length of the part; I knew it grew to my dimensions, but didn't realize that it created the void you pointed out. Now what?

I removed the 90 degree dimension, but why? Does it make a difference not having it vs. having it?

I agree on the 3.004", you are talking half a razor blade thickness....on this part that doesn't matter.

I removed the 90 degree dimension, but why? Does it make a difference not having it vs. having it?

Doesn't really make a difference (in this case) other than a matter of principle for me.

I prefer to have geometry constraints rather than dimensions and once you get the hang of Inventor sketching you don't have to add the constraint (Inventor does it for you) while adding a 90° dimension does take effort. My motto is - Get Lazy, let Inventor do the work for you.

I'll be back in a little bit (have to go do my paying job).

... changed up the overall length of the part; I knew it grew to my dimensions, but didn't realize that it created the void you pointed out.

You missed a coincident constraint. That is the beauty of Inventor parametric constraints - when done correctly this constraint should have been automatic and changing dimensions would simply update the part rather than causing it to blow up.

Edited by JD Mather

I think you know what I am ultimately trying to make here, correct?[/qUOTE]

I assume you are trying to derive the four flat pieces of sheet metal

Flat Pattern.jpg

Flat pattern

Bent Part.PNG

from the bent parts that would be required

Welded part.PNG

to manufacture this as a weldment?

The previous image of flat was for one of the "sides", this is for what I interpret as the "top".

Top bent.jpg

as bent

Top flat.jpg

flat before bending.

YES!!!!! Exactly. That is exactly what I am trying to do. Okay so now what do I need to do to follow you?

Question, the sketches that I am drawing are only profiles and do not account for material growth or material needed to actually create the part, do yours? I can follow the side line of the top profile to determine the actual length/ bends of the side and also follow the top line of the side profile to determine actual length/ bends for the top. Is there a way for Inventor to automatically do this for you? The whole point of what I am trying to do is create the 3d part so that I can blow it all apart and have a flat pattern to lasercut. Thank you for what I have learned so far.

....account for material growth or material needed to actually create the .....

Inventor accounts for Bend Allowance (stretching during bending operation).

You model to the desired finished dimensions and Inventor calculates what size the flat pattern dimensions should be before bending.

I didn't quite understand this, "a square corner seam of .0625" on every edge" as I thought you might just take off the .125 thickness on both sides of the side pieces and have the top and bottom overlap flush to the outside of the side pieces. However you want them to match up is the easy part of the problem though.

I'll get back to the problem in a bit.

Okay, that's perfect.

As far as the corners go, I have attached how I wanted all of the corners to be for reference/ clarify. For whatever reason I stated .0625" originally; I would like .125" or .120" since it is 11 gauge to be exact.corner reference.dwg

So understanding that Inventor accounts for stretching during bending and you supply the finished model; did you draw the inside and bottom or simply move the parts to those locations in your completed drawing above?

After the sketch is complete, I assume I need to use the contour roll tool, and then create face? This is where I ended up on the forum... I extruded my part and laid the top profile accross it and split it from there to end up with a whole solid model. I know this isn't correct, but I am lost on how to do it like you did. Do I need to go ahead and recreate the top profile in a second sketch?

Do I need to go ahead and recreate the top profile in a second sketch?

Yes, that is what I did. I fudged the top view since I didn't have your dimensions.

multi-view.jpg

I am trying to use the contour flange tool. I went back into the side profile sketch and traced the upper line of it so that I could select it for the flange. I can create any one section with a contour flange, but I haven't been able to do the entire side yet. Any recommendations? I'm not sure if I am using the tool properly or not.

There is a trick to doing this part.

Do not use sheet metal tools till the end.

Extrude intersection

Shell

Derive Component as surface body (4 times- one for each part)

Thicken inside surface (4 times)

Convert to sheet metal, set thickness then Flat Pattern. (4 times)

Thank you so much JD! I have created the part and have shelled it. I still haven't figured out the derive component yet; it wants me to insert a file. I think I can figure out from here. Wow, it was a lot easier than I ever expected to get here.