what's the diff?

084x4larry

Hi all, so my employer just purchased our upgrade from autocad 2011 to 2012. Along with they purchased Autocad Inventor... what is this? How is this any different than autocad? I know it is precominately a 3d tool but how is it any better than just solid modeling in autocad? Thanks for feedback.

well yes i have done a quick read up. I would have to disagree with u in that it is like autocad in that i can open the same dwg files that i typically work with in autocad. i can rotate them, shade them, ect, ect. my question is still "what is the differnence (or advantage if u will) to using inventor? thanks

Inventor is a parametric program making editing a file very easy. Modeling in AutoCAD is fairly easy but once you want to change something you have to jump through hoops sometimes to get it done. In Inventor you double click on the sketch for a feature, change the dimension and the changes are shown throughout the model and also in the drawing file, assembly file, etc. If all you do is 3D then I would learn Inventor it will make life much easier, albeit after a steep learning curve.

on a side note, after the installation of the upgrade I cannot edit my pgp file at all now it keeps trying to save over the existing and then telling me i need sys admin for that... i was editing it all day long in 2011. any thoughts?

....my employer just purchased Autodesk Inventor... what is this? ...

If your employer paid extra for a next generation tool, I think that is what I would use rather than a left-over tool from the last century

http://www.google.com/search?q=1985+amc+gremlin&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=97KrUIHeNdOI0QGuhoGIDg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1160&bih=595

:lol: