Alignment Problems

kell0727

I am very much new to AutoCad, but have learned quite a bit about it in the last few days. As a part of the learning I have been building a 3D model of the shed my dad is building. But I ran into a problem on the roof and cant seem to figure out how to click everything into place.

My problem: I need to keep the size and shape of all objects while also connecting the objects to the main structure. I need to keep A and B connected to the main structure and adjust the angles so that both meet at C. But if I move one then another moves out of place. (In the pic B is out of place) All I want to do is hold the beams at A and B in their spot while adjusting the rotation on both beams to meet at C all at the same time. I have tried to fine adjust the rotation on the beams individually but still cant get them together. I cant seem to get the constraints feature to work, because I guess it only works in 2D. I have tried to use the align tool but it just throws everything haywire. Any help is much appreciated.

Rooftemplate-1.jpg

Take a look at the 3DALIGN command.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

That's the ticket for sure, I really like the 3DALIGN command.

You may find it helpful to GROUP the elements before manipulating them further.

Select all the parts of it, then in your RIGHT CLICK SHORTCUT MENU select GROUP.

Thanks for the quick replys. Is there a way to group them and then allow it to pivot at point c to connect A and B to the structure. My problem is I dont know the perfect angle at C to allow points A and B to connect correctly. The ALIGN and 3DALIGN want to move the structure as a solid and wont set the angle at C.

The 3DALIGN may work good after you create the parts, but....... creating them correctly at the start would be "my way". You have line A-C length and line B-C length and known point A and B. Create a circle the diameter of line A-C length with the center at point A, then another at point B the diameter of line B-C length, where the two circle intersect would be point C. Now just create the two parts from those points.

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post so we can have a closer look at it.

Are you familiar at all with manipulating the UCS to allow you to work in different planes?

thanks all for the help. I ended up taking a 2D line drawing and setting up the constraints to keep all the sides at a constant length, then used the ALIGN tool to apply it to the structure. I then created my beams and aligned it to the 2D line drawing. It came out perfect.

Shedrooftemplate.png

Shedroofstructure.png