Inventor 2012 will not install

gabriel09

I recently downloaded the Student version of Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 for Windows Vista 32Bit.

The problem I have with installing this is that it will initialize, and it will get to the Features selection page. Once I click the install button, it shows up with the progress bar, completes maybe 2 steps out of the 33 required steps.

It then presents me with an Installation Failure screen. I have absolutely no clue why. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!

The installation log file is attached in a word document below.

log file.docx

Download and install Vista Service Pack 2.

Also, why use 2012? If you're going to get the student version anyway, you should be able to do 2013 ...

Make sure you follow some other good installaton guidelines as well such as...

Make sure you are Administrator

Turn off Anti-Virus

Turn off UAC (User Access Control)

Also, what Antivirus are you using? Some of the free or non-mainstream ones actually see some CAD programs as viruses or the directories they are in constantly get scanned and registry settings get blocked

You might need to follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions (search Google) to clean up your first attempt.

Make sure you follow some other good installaton guidelines as well such as...

Make sure you are Administrator

Turn off Anti-Virus

Turn off UAC (User Access Control)

Also, what Antivirus are you using? Some of the free or non-mainstream ones actually see some CAD programs as viruses or the directories they are in constantly get scanned and registry settings get blocked

You might need to follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions (search Google) to clean up your first attempt.

I am the admin, and I always have UAC off, but I can't turn off my anti-virus without uninstalling it which I'd rather not do.

Should be, so long as it's updated.

Are you sure you've got SP2 installed? Reason I ask is I had to install 2013 on a Vista machine some months back, and it was behaving EXACTLY the way you've described. I assumed that SP2 had been installed, but on further investigation it turned out not to have been.

Also, I seem to recall some weirdness with the VC++ Redistributable. Do you have Visual Studio installed, or have you ever had it in the past? Might try uninstalling your existing VC++ Redistributable, and then let Inventor do its thing with the installation. I ran into that problem a couple years back, but my memory on exactly what I did to get around it is a bit fuzzy. I think I figured out what the problem was but decided it was less work to nuke the installation and start over with a clean install of Windows 7 than to try and keep screwing with Vista.

I'm positive. I downloaded SP2 and tried to install it, and it said I already have it.

But here's something confusing: I downloaded and installed the hotfix, but multiple times in the log file it says "Microsoft Vista Hotfix KB971138 is required for installation." Why would that be?

I am the admin, and I always have UAC off, but I can't turn off my anti-virus without uninstalling it which I'd rather not do.

Ctrl Alt Del

Start Task Manager

Processes tab.

Find the anti-virus, right click and End Process

I got it to work by only selecting Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 out of the features selection page

I've been doing this a long time - yet have no idea what you are referring to (features selection page). Can you post a screen shot?

JD, he's talking about the page in the installation where you tell it whether to install ACAD Mechanical, Fusion, Desktop Content, Texture Libraries, Vault Client, etc.