Drawing 3d view of a race track using CAD 2007

Shaji

Hi all,

Could someone give me the information regarding how to draw a 3d view of a race track similar the one shown in the attachment using cad2007. Kindly let me know whether it is possible to draw it using cad 2007 or should i use some other softwares? I made a 3d profile of the race track using 3dpolyline command but cant convert it into a 3d solid object. Kindly give me a solution as soon as possible. I ve attached the sample drawing and the one i have to make for your information.

Thank you all

Shaji

Elevation.pdf

3d.pdf

from the looks of it you have your yellow lines as the edge of the track and the dark line the center? You can draw a cross section of the road(rectangle) and sweep it along your path. I cant remember if you can use two guides or not, if not you may have to play with twist and some setting. if that doesnt work for you , you do have a few options.

First thing i would try is breaking up your track into 4 sections and use the edgesurf command with surftab1 and 2 turned up to retain your curves. You can do this is more than 4 sections.

Here are two quick files i made. Its a spline path inside and out and two straight lines connecting it. The first(top one) i had surftab turned to 35. you can see it had trouble with the curve. 35 means for the total shape there will be 35(surftab1) in the x direction and 35(surftab2) in the y direction(these arent actually x and y but in relation to your curves, typically called M and N). So you can see altering these numbers will make a difference. Since your path is relatively thin compared to lenth, these numbers can be wildly different. In the third drawing the yellow track i have surftab1 = 100 and surftab2 = 10. so 10 segments or cells for the width of the track and 100 for the length. You can also see that if you break up your track into multiple sections you can define smaller "cells".

If you plan to do the whole track in say 2 sections you will need to turn surftab1 way up.

hope this helps.

racetrack.jpg

racetrack2.jpg

racetrack3.jpg

Hi,

Sweep command did not work as the width and height of the tracks varies at every 5 metres. I want the track to look like the attached one. i.e. solid shape showing the turns , up and down etc..

Please find attached the cad file of it.

Thank you very much for your support.

3d.dwg

Elevation.pdf

First of all I would clean up the poly as it doesn't even match the curve. I would not even consider edgsurf, surftab..... as suggested by shift, those are obsolete commands that are not useful in r2007 and later when there are much more powerful surface commands available.

track.png