3 lines with different lenghts forming an triangle

Butch

Guys help!

I had to go out yesterday and meassure an house indoors.

Anyway the room is not square but sort of an triangle.

I have meassured 3 wall sides.

How to arrange them so that I get an triangle.

I could draw 3 lines and then start rotating them till I get satisfactory result but can this be done any quicker?

Thanx!

You should draw one of the lines, then add two circles, one at each end. The radiuses of those circles will be the lengths of the other two sides of the said triangle. Where those circles are intersecting you will have the desired tip of the triangle (chouse the side).

In one company where I worked a long time ago one of the guys wrote himself a LISP routine where the end points of an existing line were picked and then you just entered the two other lengths to get the intersection point as an AutoCAD point. The line was used as a baseline and you could repeatedly enter two lengths to construct various other points from the baseline. It shouldn't be too difficult to write such a LISP/VBA routine.

Thank you! So the lengths of the sample lines of 20,22, 24 were known but the intersecting point of the 22 and the 24 was the unknown point you were trying to locate? I think I got it straight. Thanks again for the example. Now to remember it when I need it! Ken

In one company where I worked a long time ago one of the guys wrote himself a LISP routine where the end points of an existing line were picked and then you just entered the two other lengths to get the intersection point as an AutoCAD point. The line was used as a baseline and you could repeatedly enter two lengths to construct various other points from the baseline. It shouldn't be too difficult to write such a LISP/VBA routine.

Look at the DDIST command, it's part of Map3D and may be in Civil3D.