viewport on it's on layer

rookie37

Viewports should be on their own distinct layer as defpoints can act strangely at times. I always have a Vports layer and I always disable printing that layer in the Layer Properties Manager in case I forget to freeze it before I plot.

Just 2, on a no print layer and displayed one. the displayed one is used to contain the topo lines on site development plans. but most will be on a non printable VP layer

I put it on defpoints. I probably shouldn't because I have heard defpoints is unstable.

My caution for making additional layers is probably an overkill

Layers are very usefull however they get used too much. things often get their own layers for no reason.

It irks me when I have to scroll through 4 pages of layers finding 1/3 of them are absurd to have their own.

I'll give you an exaggerated example

Instead of creating a layer called ground, they have many layers called;

dirt

twigs

granite

bassault

mulch

litter

It is an exaggeration but not by much. Layers are often used as a way to write notes on what an object is and are never intended to be used to turn off but leave the adjacent ones on

an example would be (not exaggerated this time) is a survey drawing with layers

cyclone fence

barbwire fence

gate

fence post

sign post

and all the same color

I get many survey drawings like this. I turn 3 shades of red and wonder if the person that created the drawing had a mother and father that was married

This is the primary reason for ending up with 4 pages of layers even after everything is purged

I agree, too many layers are a pain. VPORT is one that needs to be there. In the old days DEFPOINTS was used a lot as it ws the only way of not having some things printed. Control on layers in better, but Keep It Simple Stupid applies in my drawings.

Viewports should be on their own distinct layer as defpoints can act strangely at times. I always have a Vports layer and I always disable printing that layer in the Layer Properties Manager in case I forget to freeze it before I plot.

I'll second that ReMark. And now I'm curious, what colour do people use for the viewports layer? Me? I like red, it's big, bold and difficult to miss.

Viewports should be on Vports layer, IMO. personal preference i make mine white.

I can see some getting irritated with too many layers, but whats irritates me is not enought layers.... especially when your new to a company and open a dwg and everything is on "object" or 0 layer... WTF.... I create many layers, DIMS, TEXT, CONCRETE, STEEL... ya know basic layers so everythin isnt on one or 3 layers... that way when you need to isolate something to work on specific piping or something you can and everything else will turn off. Working in civil for years, im framilir with how survey info is imported, that is how alot of those layers are created. Depending on how survey info is brought in.