SSD (Solidw State Drives)

stevsmith

Hi guy's. I've been toying with the idea of buying an SSD for my laptop for several months now.

I currently run SW 2012 and Draftsight.

How much of a significant difference would the SSD make? If any?

I cannot speak to the software titles you mention, but as a Civil 3D user I can tell you that the new laptop I just spec-ed out is measurably faster.

For comparison, I currently run a 17" Dell Precision M6600 laptop (last year's model), Win7, 256GB 7200 RPM HDD, Quad-Core i7 2.3 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA Quadro 3000M... The new laptop is relatively the same, only this year's model (M6700), and we upgraded it to include 256GB SSD, and doubled the RAM to 32GB.

So the programs will only load faster and performance will not be increased, am I right in saying this?

The disk (or in this case SSD), is only used for reading, and writing data... Any task performed where that is done will be faster (generally speaking, and especially so for large volumes of data)... The 'work' usually done via applications is a processing task (again, generally speaking), which is an entanglement of the Processor capability.

Methinks a really fast processor + HDD will outperform a really slow processor + SSD.

I don't know how often you've had HDD crashes but since I bought my SSD I've never had a crash where I lost data. Or never had a crash period. Something to consider.

• 2 months later...

We're running SW 2013, Draftsite and AutoCAD 2014. We switched to SSD's about a year ago and we've noticed a huge improvement with the boot process the shut down process and everything in between. The programs respond faster (with the exception of AutoCAD), the save times are much shorter, the rebuild times are faster, large PDF files are easier to navigate, etc. It is a small investment with a huge return.