Architecture 2013 tutorial

trickydicky

Hi friends, just joined this site as it was recommended by a collegue. My question is this - has anyone got a pdf version of the tutorials for Architecture 2013. I found this is the best way for me to work with help files and program both visible at the same time.

Also what is the difference between AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD Revit Architecture - are they not the same thing. I may regret asking that question but ......

Hope you can help and thanks for the opportunity of this great site.

You are all now on my Xmas list!.:D

Hi friends, just joined this site as it was recommended by a collegue. My question is this - has anyone got a pdf version of the tutorials for Architecture 2013. I found this is the best way for me to work with help files and program both visible at the same time.

Also what is the difference between AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD Revit Architecture - are they not the same thing. I may regret asking that question but ......

Hope you can help and thanks for the opportunity of this great site.

You are all now on my Xmas list!.:D

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of tutorials around the internet. Google and Youtube are great places to start searching. Also, Autodesk has very good documentation of all the fundamentals of AutoCAD Architecture. I would suggest bookmarking this link:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/

And keep the User Guide very handy as well:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f48755a52158612bd434e551-7f3f.htm

Now, the differences of AutoCAD and Revit. First, it's Revit Architecture, not AutoCAD Revit Architecture. Revit is a fully parametric platform dedicated to the building and construction industry. AutoCAD Architecture, simply put, takes the basic AutoCAD platform as the core application, then builds on top of it with architectural related tools. But, AutoCAD is still a drafting tool. Revit is not a drafting tool - it's not suppose to be a replacement for AutoCAD at all. Revit is a platform that is in a category all on it's own and has gained a huge amount of popularity, and the momentum is still going strong.

AutoCAD Architecture uses a lot of Revit's intuitiveness so there are a lot of common things between the two applications, but they are not the same at all. Most serious firms have dropped AutoCAD completely and only use Revit, so the better longterm investment of your time learning would be with Revit, since the industry now sees Revit as the future for design and engineering in the AEC industry.

Are you in school, or have you been in the industry awhile and wanting to pick up some new skills? Answering this can give us here a better view in providing suggestions for you future plans.

:)

Most serious firms have dropped AutoCAD completely and only use Revit

This is the opposite of what I have seen. Many firms have taken up Revit however AutoCad is still widely used and for a beginner of any discipline in my opinion it is beneficial for them to have a solid sounding in AutoCad first.

This is the opposite of what I have seen. Many firms have taken up Revit however AutoCad is still widely used and for a beginner of any discipline in my opinion it is beneficial for them to have a solid sounding in AutoCad first.
AutoCAD was released in 1982 and the core concept hasn't changed much at all. Revit was released in 2000 as a cry for a much needed update in the architectural industry. Just as Inventor/Solidworks has for the machine and assembly design world.

Bottom line is this: the parametric world is the future. AutoCAD is not a fully parametric CAD application, it is a drafting CAD application (aka: an extension of the manual drafting board).

So I beg of you; how or where have you've seen the opposite? Why would the architectural design and engineering industry exchange 31 year old technology for a 13 year old technology? Companies like Corgan, Gensler, Leo A. Daly (which is the company I work for) are huge engineering firms, leaders in the industry and very well known on international level and they are all Revit only firms. They are trendsetters of the industry.

I won't dispute that having knowledge in AutoCAD will be beneficial because it most certainly will. However, you stating that you've seen the opposite is flat out wrong. I don't mean to rude but I don't want your opinion stray the original poster with false information.

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of tutorials around the internet. Google and Youtube are great places to start searching. Also, Autodesk has very good documentation of all the fundamentals of AutoCAD Architecture. I would suggest bookmarking this link:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/

And keep the User Guide very handy as well:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f48755a52158612bd434e551-7f3f.htm

Now, the differences of AutoCAD and Revit. First, it's Revit Architecture, not AutoCAD Revit Architecture. Revit is a fully parametric platform dedicated to the building and construction industry. AutoCAD Architecture, simply put, takes the basic AutoCAD platform as the core application, then builds on top of it with architectural related tools. But, AutoCAD is still a drafting tool. Revit is not a drafting tool - it's not suppose to be a replacement for AutoCAD at all. Revit is a platform that is in a category all on it's own and has gained a huge amount of popularity, and the momentum is still going strong.

AutoCAD Architecture uses a lot of Revit's intuitiveness so there are a lot of common things between the two applications, but they are not the same at all. Most serious firms have dropped AutoCAD completely and only use Revit, so the better longterm investment of your time learning would be with Revit, since the industry now sees Revit as the future for design and engineering in the AEC industry.

Are you in school, or have you been in the industry awhile and wanting to pick up some new skills? Answering this can give us here a better view in providing suggestions for you future plans.

:)

Thanks for your replies. The comments you make have explained the difference very well. I did understand this in part and in my terms i had AutoCAD Architecture down as a design app and Revit Architecture down as a BIM. That said i have been in the construction industry as a building surveyor and have been using AutoCAD LT. My interest is now getting the better of me and i am more interested in taking up using CAD more seriously probably freelance. Any help and advice posible leads would be very much apreciated.