Was not aware of this forum, a few problems with AutoCAD 2012

dueingx4

I'm running the 2012 full version of AutoCAD and a few issues keep popping up. First issue, I can plot an 11 x 17 drawing file as a PDF without an issue. When I try to plot a 24 x 36 format PDF from a CAD file, it generates for a longer time but will make a blank white PDF file, no image...

Second issue, not sure if this is a new hatch style in 2012, but I can add in a hatch that has transparency. On roof plans, I use the transparency for tapered insulation and crickets so they "jump" out in the drawing. If I close out AutoCAD and get in later, the transparency goes away and it shows up as a solid black hatch. I'm sure it's a setting I need to turn off, but not sure where or how.

Thanks ahead for anybodies help!

Welcome to CT!

When you're plotting to PDF, are you using the built-in DWG2PDF driver or a 3rd party virtual printer (like Adobe / PDFCreator)?

Is your settings to generate the PDF as an image or using vector lines?

Have you turned on the plot transparency in the plot dialog?

As for the view loosing it's "transparency" - that might be something to do with your video card. Try updating the drivers to the latest recommended by adesk. Or try toggling HW acceleration on/off.

Or do you mean the solid hatch looses it's transparency setting? Do you need to HEdit it every time?

ok, the process i use is this:

i select Adobe PDF for my plotter

as far as plotting an image or vector lines, im not sure how to change this setting, is this something i have control over? if so, do i change it in the plot layout dialog box.

converning the plot transparency box in the plot options, yes it is checked. now i am able to get the transparency to work on a smaller format, but im not sure if the larger format is what is freaking out the process.

not sure how to toggle the hw acceleration, i type hw at the command prompt and nothing happens. is this the short cut, or what is the correct entry.

and yes, every time i open up a drawing with a transparency hatch, i have to hatch edit it and manually adjust it to the proper transparency.

thanks again for looking into this, hope these are questions that have an answer.

i am looking into the hw acceleration, at the lower right hand corner. if i try to update the performance tuner, it says i do not have write permission. im guessing i have to logon as administratior, correct?

ok, the process i use is this:

i select Adobe PDF for my plotter

as far as plotting an image or vector lines, im not sure how to change this setting, is this something i have control over? if so, do i change it in the plot layout dialog box.

converning the plot transparency box in the plot options, yes it is checked. now i am able to get the transparency to work on a smaller format, but im not sure if the larger format is what is freaking out the process.

not sure how to toggle the hw acceleration, i type hw at the command prompt and nothing happens. is this the short cut, or what is the correct entry.

and yes, every time i open up a drawing with a transparency hatch, i have to hatch edit it and manually adjust it to the proper transparency.

thanks again for looking into this, hope these are questions that have an answer.

I've found that using the DWG2PDF driver makes for better transparency. Usually if you use a non-adesk driver turning on transparency means it prints as a raster image.

In which case the larger your page the more pixels - thus the more RAM. And something like an E size / A0 at 300DPI can crash most PC's - it would be something like 14000x9900 pixels ... equivalent to a 140 Mega Pixel Photo.

This is not an ACad or an Adobe (or whatever you're using) problem. It's an issue with windows' printing. Every program prints to a windows printer by sending its output in an EMF format. EMF (Enhanced Meta Format) does not allow for transparency - so most programs revert to calculating the image when printing transparency. So even though the Post Script / PDF format allows for transparency - it's that intermediat MS-EMF step which breaks it.

The DWG2PDF driver is a built-in HDI driver, so ACad doesn't go through windows when using this. Unfortunately it's not as comprehensive as Adobe/PDFCreator's drivers though - e.g. can't add security. And wipeouts / some fonts don't work well when using DWG2PDF. So you'll need to test if this is allowable for your case.

If not, you might want to reduce your DPI when printing to larger page sizes.

i am looking into the hw acceleration, at the lower right hand corner. if i try to update the performance tuner, it says i do not have write permission. im guessing i have to logon as administratior, correct?
That's usually the case when making major adjustments to acad. :(

cool, i will try that and reply again later and let you know if it works. what about keeping the transparency settings even if i save and get out of autocad? does not make sense that it resorts back to a solid hatch each time...

thansk again!

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! the dwg to pdf process worked perfectly, AWESOME!!!

now, please help with loosing the hatch transparency settings, thanks again!

Glad you got it working with DWG2PDF. Just be mindful of that driver giving some intricacies of its own - I know adesk has put some work into it, it's not as bad as it used to be.

now, please help with loosing the hatch transparency settings, thanks again!
I really don't know what to tell you about that. Perhaps if you attach a sample DWG with such a hatch I might check it on my ACad and see if it does the same. At least then we can tell if it's something to do with the DWG or your ACad.

i use an 85% transparency for roof crickets so they stand out in a taper shop drawing. but if i exit out of a drawing, then get back in, it shows up as a 100% black solid hatch again. the transparency selection is in the lower right hand corner of the hatch and gradient window.

I know where the transparency for hatches is. You can adjust it in the properties palette / ribbon as well. But I don't seem to find your problem: I make a hatch, set its Pattern to Solid, and it's Transparency to 85%. Save a close the DWG, then reopen - the hatch is still solid with 85% transparency.

Though I'm using ACA 2013 opened as Vanilla ACad - so that might be something. But most probably it's that you're saving back to an older version DWG. Same issue as this guy had:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?73989-Transparent-Hatching-Doesn%E2%80%99t-Save&p=503441&viewfull=1#post503441

holy crap dude, your so good you answered my question and didnt even know it!!! i save down to 2000 in case i need to send the file to someone who does not have 2012... probably shouldnt bother doing that only on a case by case basis.

thanks again for your help!:)

No need for thanks ... it was just a bit of googling on my part!

On a side note, I've gone though this process before: I.e. setting the default save version lower. It caused other troubles too, e.g. dynamic blocks in 2004 format goes all wonky in some cases.

My rule of thumb:

Keep the DWGs in the latest version which is readable by your oldest ACad in the company (preferably everyone should be on the same version). When sending to outside parties use eTransmit as it has a setting for saving down to other versions (among other niceties ;)).