Fastener size

ZL45

Edit: Fastener size. Can't find a way to change that.

Our teacher left us with a problem and I can't really understand this. I'm reading through the book and there's basically little to no "how to do" or examples I can follow. We have to do a 2D drawing and need some help reading the problem.

It's a Flathead cap screw - 3/8 - 16 UNC 2A x 2.0 lg 1.0 grip

So far I know that 3/8(.375") is the major diameter, 16 is the threads per inch, 2A is the average with external thread, and 2.0 is the length. I pretty much don't know how to put it into a drawing..

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZL45

• ReMark

• Bill Tillman

• rkmcswain

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does he want a pictorial view or are you required to draw the threads as well?

Sounds like a problem straight out of David L. Goetsch's book "Technical Drawing".

Yes, just a pictorial view.

And also yes. The book I have is the Technical Drawing and Engineering Communication. Though I do not want the answer or picture by itself. I want to be able to work out the problem then apply to the rest of the problems.

No answer. Check.

No picture. Check.

Work out the problem yourself. Double-check.

I like your style. By all means then carry on. Post an image when you are done so we can see your handiwork.

When you asked though "how to put it into a drawing" were you referring to the method? Full size...model space.

When I wrote no answer or picture I meant a brief explanation of the problem using the formulas and chart(s) so I can understand these problems clearly. If I do understand it, I will post with a pic to see if I did anything wrong.

For my example, d1 would be my major diameter, correct? If so, how do I calculate to get the measurement of the head?

12_05_Seite%2052_DIN1445.gif

I'm not a machinist but isn't each type of screw or bolt measured a little differently? What applies to one type of screw may not apply to another.

I don't think you have the right diagram to go with the screw that you mentioned in your first post.

When I wrote no answer or picture I meant a brief explanation of the problem using the formulas and chart(s) so I can understand these problems clearly. If I do understand it, I will post with a pic to see if I did anything wrong.

For my example, d1 would be my major diameter, correct? If so, how do I calculate to get the measurement of the head?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39770[/ATTACH]

So do you have a chart on this fastener? Or do you need to find one in order to size the head? I don't see many fasteners like this too often so I'd have to do some research myself. This is a flatheat cap screw...so I think he's got something more customized going on here:

fhcs.jpg

Couldn't find a good size but this will do. I understand that the diameter would be 3/8 (.375), how would I be able to measure the head of the screw?

spec_din7991.jpg

So do you have a chart on this fastener? Or do you need to find one in order to size the head? I don't see many fasteners like this too often so I'd have to do some research myself. This is a flatheat cap screw...so I think he's got something more customized going on here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39772[/ATTACH]

This. So the head size would be on the chart?

If you can wait a bit i will look up the specs and post a screen shot, but- there should be a table in the back of your book (or in your Machinery's Handbook) that shows all of the specifications for those variables in your screenshot for the various sizes.

I will be out of the office for the next few hours, but I'll get back if someone else doesn't post the specs.

I suspect a simple Goolge search would also turn up this information.

If you can wait a bit i will look up the specs and post a screen shot, but- there should be a table in the back of your book (or in your Machinery's Handbook) that shows all of the specifications.

I will be out of the office for the next few hours, but I'll get back if someone else doesn't post the specs.

I suspect a simple Goolge search would also turn up this information.

Thank you and I would be able to wait.

Maybe I haven't been specific in my google searches either. I'll try searching again and see what comes up.

Hate to say it but I really am a newbie to the technical drawing world:oops: Thank you for the links! Much appreciated.

Other than JDM I'm pretty sure most of us were newbies to technical drawing at some point in our illustrious careers. No need to be embarrassed.

Other than JDM I'm pretty sure most of us were newbies to technical drawing at some point in our illustrious careers. No need to be embarrassed.

I'll get over it eventually and will have to push myself more into this. Didn't think I would have a difficult time on this subject.

Yeah, JD came of of the birth canal with a slide rule in one hand and a compass in the other asking, "OK who's in charge here?"

The second schematic the OP posted looks more like the FH cap screws I'm used to seeing around. As for the diamter of the head, that I too would have to look up in a chart. The first schematic has some machining on the head which would make you think it fits into something to keep the bolt from spinning when the nut is torqued. There a literally thousands of types of fateners, and we haven't even started talking about thread types yet. 3/8-16 is one thing but then there's type "A", type "AB", and the list goes on and on. Just be sure you've got what your instructor is wanting to see. We'd hate to see you turn in something and then have it rejected.