Distorted Sphere when using HD in Rendering

General_T

Hi,

Was wondering why if I choose HD (video) as a rendering output option, the planet (sphere) is always distorted, as below.

It seems that if the Image Aspect isn't at 1.33 then things get distorted. How do you get around this?

Render Settings.JPG

Mars.JPG

Hi Raudel Solis,

Thank you for offering to help.

I have attached the file and a youtube link to show my problem.

Starfield.max

Interesting thing is that the planet is not distorted on YouTube - I guess they reformat it as part of the upload process? It is distorted when the animation is viewed in 3ds max.

Can't seem to upload the original .avi - I am guessing it is too big (3,000kb)

Tony

Edited by General_T

Hi,

I saved it out as a sequence of .tga files and saved it as an mpeg 4 in Photoshop. It isn't distorted when I do this.

I guess avoid .avi rendering in 3ds max?

After examining your scene i noticed two errors

1. you have no camera

2. you have a plane set to serve as the background, but instead of using the plane you can just drop the image into your environment slot and then you can delete the plane.

i tried to get Uranus ^O^ to render out as a sphere, but it kept coming out as an egg -____-

I do not know what is wrong, 1 media playback program was able to play the .avi with the round shape instead of an egg.

this has never happened to me before:unsure:

Hi,

I did delete the plane and added an environmental background map instead. I also placed a target camera and did a render as an .avi but unfortunately the sphere/planet still comes out stretched.

It's gotta be the change of aspect from 1.33 to 1.6 (for the 1680 x 1050 size) - just dont know why .avi can't adjust for that when it renders fine when I did it as an MP4.

I tried playing it in Quicktime / VLC and Windows Media Player and it is stretched in all of them.

render aspect ratio won't cause the problem, that just adjusts your frame size - my first thought was pixel aspect ratio but from your screen shot it's set to 1:1....

Have you got any modifiers on your camera? or any camera lens shaders enabled in your render settings?

I've got 2012 installed so cant try at the moment...