Pyro

I have been using autodesk architecture for some years now and recently have been hearing and seeing a lot about revit architecture. what intrigues me is why does autodesk promote revit above autocad or why the shift from cad base to revit? would appreciate some sort of feed, thanks for any clarification.

Revit adds specific functionality not included in plain old AutoCAD. It is specifically engineered for Building Information Modeling (BIM).

Learn more about BIM here...http://usa.autodesk.com/building-information-modeling/

from my experience with autodesk architecture i feel it too is geared towards bim, once the project navigator is employed or one works in 3d. plus it doesnt respond to why the change in platform.

Q: Why does AutoDesk do anything? A: Because it can.

Perhaps the question can best be answered by paying a visit to the AutoDesk Discussion Groups and posting it there. Since those forums are monitored by AutoDesk employees you might get a more detailed explanation. Or speak with your authorized AutoDesk reseller.

This forum is not directly affiliated with AutoDesk.

Pyro - both are BIM programs. Revit was developed by another company and Autodesk realized it was a better solution so they bought them out and continued to develop Revit. They were left with the problem of competing programs inside their company and are probably hoping people quit buying Architecture and move to Revit. From the sound of it Revit is by far the better solution but Autodesk can't be seen dropping Architecture and announcing to current customers that it is not as good as Revit, please move to it, we were wrong about the other one.

A quick Internet search re: "Why Revit is better than AutoCAD Architecture" turns up a handful of discussions. I suggest you (Pyro) might read a couple of them if you get the opportunity.

Remark: i'm not looking at why any of the softwares are better than the other but why has autodesk choosen to make revit its software of choice? cause from what i can see they are both very capable softwares and frankly autocad architecture has its advantages over revit architecture and vice versa. then again you made a good suggestion of posting it on one of autodesks forums which i'll do, thanks.

AutoDesk has choosen to make Revit the software of choice most likely because it has a long term goal in mind that does not embrace having two separate solutions. Would it surprise anyone if AutoCAD Architecture goes the way of the dodo?