Vista

boyo

Hello,I am running auto cad 9 on win xp sp2. computer is pretty good with quad processor.The performance of 3d still let a lot to wish for.I can upgrade to vista 64 and I will eventually, though some problems with trial instalation some time ago made me come back to windows xp. I woulld like to find some opinions about benefits of running 3d autocad on vista.Is the improvement significant. Any ideas on improving performance of autocad would be appreciated

Welcome to the forums boyo! Have fun, visit often.

If M$ XP Pro is working, why upgrade to Vista 64?

I myself am not going to Vista, too many conflicts documented at cadtutor.com and elsewhere.

Just stick to XP for the time being. the one thing I dont like with vista is it takes a considerable amount of RAM as compared to XP, w/c is supposed to be used by CAD and other essential programs you need for work.

IMO Vista has come a bit too early for the average computer, perhaps a good 2 or 3 years of hardware development would better handle it.

Computer systems have become HUGE. Operating systems are too big to thoughly test. Microsoft has been using the public to test their software for them ever since Dos 3. And why not? There are plenty of people amazingly eager to do so. Some even beg to get the software even earlier. Some beg Autocad for their untested software as well!

I won't be surprised if next week we will see a thread;

I'm running a beta copy of Vista Enlightenment Warp Factor 8 with Hyperdrive (or whatever they call it) with beta Autocad 2010 and ......

Let others test it. Don't go to Vista yet.

*feels somewhat smug at decision to deliberately hunt out an XP laptop on last purchase*

... not that I'm running AutoCAD on it anyway, but it's best to be prepared :thumbsup:

I tend to stick with an OS that works. That's why I stayed with XP Pro. It's also the reason I skipped Windows Me. Remember that "turkey"? Windows 98 was pretty good though.

I have no problems with running Vista and Autocad Architecture 2009. You do need a beefy system to run them both though. Vista is not XP, which some people seem to think that their machine will run XP, but why wont it run Vista. It is a next gen OS, and requires a next Gen computer to run well.

You want to improve the performance of AutoCAD running on Vista then go with 64-bit software on a minimum of a dual-core system, with a good AutoCAD sanctioned graphics card and as much physical RAM as you can possibly afford. Don't skimp. Your computer should be good enough to last 3 years with no further upgrades.

I think i will stick with xp for awhile yet,although its tempting to check it out at least, the more so i have 2 top video cards and blast through most demanding games.Still, i had problems installing 64bit due to installation errors and the need to reconfigure the system.Too much fuss and more to come.People, who have succesfully went over to vista,is it worth to go for it in respect to 3d visualisation?