general CAD management resources

bwaite

Hi!

I'm a longtime forum user, but I've never posted before. I work at a small architecture firm (4-5 people), and we've always taken a pretty hodgepodge approach to CAD management. All of our content files are cobbled together from various sources, and we all have slightly different ways of setting up/sharing/outputting files. Basically, it's a disorganized mess.

We are all on AutoCAD LT 2013 as of pretty recently, and we are starting to take on some bigger projects that will require us to have a more rigorous and streamlined workflow, CAD standards, content sharing, etc, etc. (Basically everything we're too busy to worry about until disaster strikes).

The point is, where should I go as a general reference for undertaking a top-down overhaul of our CAD management system? We don't have thousands to spend on consultants, and we're all clever enough that we should be able to figure this out. If anyone could point me in the direction of some resources (books, threads here, other online sources, etc) that could help me understand the full scope and general principles of CAD management from the bottom up I'd be very grateful.

Thanks! You guys rock.

Search here a while ago there was a post about setting up office stds and the poster uploaded his ideas and comments were made to something useable. I think it was in CAD Mangement forum