what is attribute and why we are using attribute plz

afrazawan

what is attribute and why we are using attribute and what is diffrance b/w Block and attribute please give me some example with cad file and also how to make attribute thanks

An attribute would be a piece of information/data. For example, you could insert a block representing a manhole (in plan view) that has three attributes, one for the manhole number, one for the top of frame elevation and one for the invert elevation. Each time the block is inserted the user would be prompted to provide the asked for information. Later on you could extract all the information as a CSV file and import it into Excel or you could extract it to a table inside the drawing itself.

AttributeCreate.jpg

Create an attribute.

The above image was taken in a 2D workspace. Home tab, Block panel, Create Attribute button is what you are looking for or something similar in the program you are using.

Each company/industry had its own format of title block; both shape and data that go inside vary. So, you will have to create your own one.

Some of the template drawings shipped with AutoCAD contain title blocks - I suggest you to start from one of those. Check also the tutorial suggested above to get you started.

The best way to learn is to create an attributed block yourself. Have you even attempted to do so?

Take for example your title block. It requires a title right? So start with the ATTDEF command (you did see the image I posted as where to find it right?).

ATTDEF dialog box.PNG

The ATTDEF command brings up the Attribute Definition dialog box.

You need to provide some information for creating the attribute. In the example shown I called it TITLE1. When finished, click on the OK button and place the newly created attribute in the proper place within your title block. Repeat the procedure as many times as required.

I just did this yesterday for a private client of mine. His company's titleblock required 17 different attributes.

Once all the attributes have been created and placed then invoke the BLOCK or WBLOCK command and create your new block. I usually select all the linework first then go back and select the attributes in the order I wish for them to be filled in when the block is inserted.

I usually select all the linework first then go back and select the attributes in the order I wish for them to be filled in when the block is inserted.

I discovered some time ago that if you select first the attributes in the desired order and after select at once (by "C" or "W") all the items that will go into block's definition (that it, the attributes too) their order is retained. This simplify the selection (don't need to pick the non-attributes one-by-one) and ensure that nothing is missed.

Anyway, even if you discover later that want to adjust the attributes order, there is the BATTMAN command.

A simple example of a block that contains one attribute.

The block was created using imperial units (decimal inches).

Use the INSERT command to bring it into your test drawing. When asked at the command line "What is the drawing title?" type this: TESTME.

Got it?

Saved in AutoCAD 2000 file format.

TBandAttribute.dwg