d/l free bedroom and staircase models - how to remove cameras - help, please?

AlienBZ

I d/l this staircase model

capture_03032013_130123.jpg

and this bedroom model

capture_03032013_130452.jpg

and I understand these are from an older version of max, but I'd like to use these models for my movie (actually a mini movie clip so I can practice with animating the bipeds (people models that I d/l)) and for the second model (the bedroom) I clicked on "edit > select > by name" and it shows all of the sub-objects that comprise this bedroom model (including 2 camera icons) and for both of these models I'd like to remove or delete the cameras, render them back to the default max grayscale and add my own bitmap textures (for wall color, furniture color).

How do I do this?

Also, I'm hoping to edit the far wall of that staircase model and cut out an opening in the far wall so I can insert a video clip that I d/l (of an aquarium) so the aquarium clip would run as this movie clip runs, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

To delete a camera, or anything in your scene, from the "Select from Scene" window, just click on the name of the item you want to delete, click ok to accept the selection and close the window, then hit the Delete key on your keyboard.

In the case of a camera, there are two parts. The "Camera01" is the actual camera itself, and the "Camera01.Target" is the little box that the camera is pointed at. You don't need to select both items, just click on "Camera01", click OK and then hit Delete. Both items will be deleted.

To remove the colored frames:

Click on the little "+" symbol in the upper left corner of the viewport

Select "Configure" from the pop up menu

Click on the "Safe Frames" tab

Uncheck "Show Safe Frames in Active View"

I'm hoping to edit the far wall of that staircase model and cut out an opening in the far wall so I can insert a video clip that I d/l (of an aquarium) so the aquarium clip would run as this movie clip runs, how do I do this?

3ds Max Tutorial using a video as a texture:

• 6 months later...

To date I d/l another bedroom that I'd like to make into sort of a dormer at least twice the length as the original model, and I tried to do this by copying the original bedroom (by changing the whole model and all of its subobjects to the same color in wireframe view, then selecting the original by color, and then doing a copy. Now I'm trying to move the second copy so that I can insert several of my own flat boxes so as to bridge these two copies in such a way that it'll appear as if the room becomes a dormer. Again, this is for a movie.

but when I select the second bedroom (the copy of the original) by color, and then go to edit > move, it only moves a very limited amt, it won't let me drag it by clicking on the appropriate X/Y/Z mover-arrow heads - what do I do to fix this?

(see screenshot)

capture_09222013_172430.jpg

You are really wasting a lot of time digging through the menus in order to initiate commands. I recommend that you take some time and learn how to use the toolbar buttons and keyboard commands. For instance, instead of going to the "Edit" menu to select Move, Scale or Rotate, just click the toolbar button for the command.

Or even faster: Hit the "W" key for "Move" , the "E" key for "Rotate" and the "R" key for "Scale".

transform.jpg

I'm not sure what's causing the problem you're experiencing. It looks like your viewport is set to Front and you are in Perspective mode. Try switching to Orthographic mode and switch to Top or Left view and see if anything changes.

At this point though, you should be building your own models. You keep trying to use these free models that you download from who knows where, and then you're trying to manipulate them and modify them and you end up with nothing but problems. You should be able to build your own rooms and then just populate them with the free furniture models that you download.