Joining objects together

Faceeater

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new with 3ds max and am working on a project of creating a town just to get some basic skills down.

I have run into a problem where I can't figure out how to join two objects together. I use "attach" but that doesn't actually physically join the items.

Some examples: I create a window object with some wall around it. I then want to duplicate it and join the duplicate to the original so I have a full wall of a house with two windows.

Another example, I create a town wall section and want to duplicate it and join the different sections together to create one long wall. This becomes more difficult when I want to join a section I've curved to a straight section, Is there a function that will take two like objects and join them together? Merging the vertices/edges is way too tedious and I'm sure there's a simpler way.

If anyone has any tutorials with info on this sort of problem would be much appreciated!

It seems that this function would allow me to work in a modular fashion, so I could create windows or doors and reuse them as I build new buildings in my town but I can't figure out how to do it. Maybe I missed something simple?

Could you create your object -- then make it a block -- then insert it where and when you want in your drawing ?

Some examples: I create a window object with some wall around it. I then want to duplicate it and join the duplicate to the original so I have a full wall of a house with two windows.

It's really very simple:

Make a copy of your window/wall object and place it over to one side of the original

Activate Snaps and set your snap option to Vertex

Snap the copied window/wall object to the original by hovering your cursor over a vertex on the copy and then click and drag over to the corresponding vertex on the original

Attach the copy to the original

Window select all vertices along the seam between the window/wall objects

Click the Weld button

Another option, which is much faster and easier, would be to just use the Symmetry modifier. The Symmetry modifier will do all of the above with just a few mouse clicks.

Could you create your object -- then make it a block -- then insert it where and when you want in your drawing ?

There are no Blocks in Studio Max. You can create Groups, but that doesn't really help the situation because you will still just have separate group objects, not one continuous wall. In order to have your wall texture tile correctly, you need one continuous wall piece, not a bunch of separate group objects.

Wow, thanks Cad64. For some reason I never though of either of those solutions and they were both right in from of me! The symmetry one is especially good as it saves a ton of steps. Thanks again!