Measure length of continuous line

Vigilante

Is there a tool where you just click on any line and it tells you how long the line is from end to end?

Basically I am drawing a curvy line that twists and turns here and there, but the line has to be less then so long. So I have to approximate the length by doing strait measurements and multiplying, it's really a pain.

I'd much rather just click the line, and it tell me how long it is from end to end, across turns and rounded edges and corners.

Any such funtion? Or LISP?

If not, somebody get on that!

As long as your continuous line is a polyline AutoCAD will return the total length of the line, curved or otherwise, by using the LIST command.

Have the properties dialog box open when drafting, it gives you that information when selecting lines/plines/ etc etc. I never bothered at first as it sacrifices your screen work area but after a while you get used to it and it really helps

Well it's not really a polyline. It is many sepparate lines, but they are connected at their ends and corners with an arc or half circle. So we have regular lines, half-circle and 90 degree arcs all connected to strait lines.

The second thing is, I don't draw each line manually, that would take forever. I just have some pre-drawn "sections" of this curvy stuff, and I put it in place and stretch and edit.

So trying to watch the properties window may not do it because I don't draw each line. Using the measure tool and approximating "how many lines are about this long going this way, plus this many lines about this long going this way". That is probably quicker then click every individual line one by one and adding them up from properties.

But if there was a way to click a line, and have it measure the length simply by following it along, would be awesome!

That might be a hard tool to make, because lines may 'T' off and go two ways. But these lines don't 'T' or intersect, it's just a long, snaking loop.

I wish I knew LISP. Lol

It lines and arcs have connecting endpoints, you can use PEDIT>>MULTIPLE>>[select]>>JOIN to join them into 1 polyline, which you can now "list" to get total length.

If too much work because they won't join into a polyline, you can use a lisp routine that sums lengths of selected objects.

-"tlen.lsp" at http://www.turvill.com/t2/free_stuff/index.htm

• 5 years later...