Should I redraw the whole thing?

marlon

It's supposed to be a 1mm thick steel plate with a hole punched in it.

This is the semi-finished object. Notice the hole is sort of indented (i don't know if that's the correct term).

semi finished.jpg

Here are the front and rear close ups

Front closeup.jpg

Rear closeup.jpg

The circular edge of the hole at the back is too sharp, I want it to be smooth, like if you run your finger from the left or right side of the plate going towards the hole, you should NOT be able to feel a sudden 'drop' but rather a smooth downward (or inward) dent; your fingers should be able to slide towards the hole very smoothly. Hope I'm making myself clear.

I don't think it can be done, not with the way I drew it anyway. If you need to see how I got to the semi finished object, please let me know and I'll upload some pics. Thanks guys!

just use the fillet command. If that doesnt get what you want i suggest you draw a 2d 1/4 section view of your dimple and use the REVOLVE command. This will give you a solid you can subtract from your plate.

i also noticed those are acad2002 screen shots but your sig says 2008. Just as a note if you didnt know. when working in 08 you need to save your filetype as a (2000 in this case) older version.

let me know if you need help with revolve.

Sorry, where does it say I'm using 2008? I'm using 2002.........

Anyway, fillet doesn't seem to work. Show me a simple REVOLVE application please? Thanks!

thanks jon, thats exactly what i was thinking.

I thought under your user name it said acad 08 but it was early this morning, i was probably just tired:)

how come fillet didnt work? what error did it give you? what fillet radius did you enter? that is the catch, your fillet radius much be small enough that it doesnt go past the adjacent flat face.

Pocket, your smooth transition is exactly what I want! But the protruding side or the bump doesn't look like mine, but I bet you can do that as well. Please teach me how you made the smooth transition! Thanks!!

Shift1313, I'll try the fillet command again. Thanks!!

I posted the pics so you could see how to do it on your own

Left side shows the region of the curve. imagine a 1/4 section view like Shift said and the center of the hole for a rev axis

Next a hole was cut in the plate, and the revolution was moved to fill the void

But the protruding side or the bump doesn't look like mine

Didnt plan for it to, you can redraw whatever shape fits the job whether it be smaller arcs or ellipses. The process is the same and the effect is whatever you need

you could add the sphere like you did in your drawing then subtract what he drew. If you wanted to draw it all in one step you could do something like this.

if you draw it this way there are a few ways to join them. i drew a plate with a hole in it then did a union command. You could also union the two parts then subtract a hold from the center. really there are several others ways to do it as well. this is just one of them.

in the last picture i used fillet on the corner of the outside of the plate. Unless you had a dimple die this was pressing into with a sharp corner on it, this point would have a radius. are you trying to replicate something and iron worker would punch into a plate?

revolvehelp.jpg

revolvehelp2.jpg

revolvehelp3.jpg

revolvehelp4.jpg

revolvehelp5.jpg

Thanks shift1313 you got it! Yes I'm trying to replicate something. Good thing you showed the fillet effect, I need to work on that. Thanks guys!!!:D

after. To use the fillet you need an edge that is part of a solid body. Try drawing a cube and using fillet on the edges and you will see. If you are filleting around an entire body after you select your edge, and enter the radius there is an option prompted for chain. that will let you select multiple edges to fillet at the same time(connected to each other).

let us know if you cant get it worked out.