Matl's do not stay assigned to faces! AutoCAD 2009

Steve Drury

Hi All,

I'm having trouble when assigning multiple materials to a 3D Solid. I'm selecting the material then assigning to the face of the object (hold down CTRL to select individual faces). The materials can be changed but once the drawing is closed then re-opened (after save, duh) the whole solid object reverts to the dominant material only.

It is necessary for the solid to have multiple materials and I would rather not explode the solid and simply colour the remaining regions.

NB: Converting the solid into a block, then saving, does not fix the problem.

Has anyone run into this problem before and found a solution?

Regards,

Steve.

the whole solid object reverts to the dominant material only.

Do you mean it's reverting back to the Global material?

I'm doing exactly the same as you when i apply multiple materials to a single solid but i've never ran into the problem.

If there's no solution and if you find this exeptable you can do it the old style:Copy the face and move it a very small amount(~1mm) and apply the material to that face.:|

Or you could select the face (CTRL+left click) go to it's properties(CTRL+1) and select the appropriate material for the face from the drop down list.

The object is reverting back to the most dominant material on the object.

The same happens when I select the face and change the material assignment in properties. For now I think I'll have to explode the solid and colour the regions individually - then save them into a block. This should be acceptible until I find some way around it!

Why is there a dominant material in the first place? For example if you have a box, that has six faces, and you apply six different materials to each....after the save to wich material is the box going to revert to?? :?

Maybe somewhere there's a conflict with the assigned materials?Maybe you attached one material to the whole object,that object is in a specific layer,and you used the "materialattach" command?

Lazarus:

This is why there was a dominant material in the first place.

1. Create Solid

2. Assign Material (Dominant)

3. Realise > 1 Material is required, so assign new material using CTRL + Left Click to select the face.

I just created a 6 sided box and assigned six individual materials using the method above - and sure enough, after save then reopen the box is all Material 1.

I then created the box and assigned the materials face by face (i.e. Changing from Global to Material 1, 2, 3 etc). After a save then reopen the box retained all it's material information! I'm hoping I can change the entire object back to Global then assign individual materials one face at time then that will retain.

Thanks Lazarus!

Don't know if you saw the edited bit,cause you where posting at the same time as the edit.

I think there's your problem,there are materials "overlaping" so AutoCAD chooses to display the dominant material,and that is the material applied to the object as a whole.I think i've had that problem before....so the rule when applying multiple materials to an object would be to never apply a material to the whole object, just the visible faces.

Hope i was able to help.

Cheers.:)