Scaling a2D object in model space to an exact size

douggiestyle

Hi guys,

Does anyone know know can i scale a 2D object to an exact length and width that i need to fit into a space?

Ive been reading around online and they say use scale/ref, however i noticed by giving the ref length, it does lengthen the object to the ref length, but the height's off!!:(

Thanks

:beer:

You will probably have to make the object(s) a block, from there you can scale it one direction with the reference option in the scale command. Then you will have to adjust the other scale in properties. Finally if need be you can explode your block.

Thanks for the quick response, but there's gotta be an easier way.

Im pretty sure theres a calculation to figure out the exact height and width needed.

Thanks for the quick response, but there's gotta be an easier way.

Im pretty sure theres a calculation to figure out the exact height and width needed.

What is the length and width of your object?

What is the length and width of the space that it has to fit into?

3D objects have a height.

Its a 2D object, which measures 3'-0" (x) by 1'-9" (y)and it must fit into a space that measures 2'-7" (x) by 2'-0" (y). :)

What is the length and width of your object?

What is the length and width of the space that it has to fit into?

3D objects have a height.

Well the ALIGN command is not going to work on it (tried and failed).

You are basically trying to fit a rectangle into a space that is almost a square. I don't see that happening without a different X/Y scale.

Scale command applies a uniform scale to both X and Y. (that is what is referenced in other threads you found)

You need non-uniform scales, one for X and one for Y.

your

sfx=31/36 and your sfy=24/21 (where sf = scale factor) (in words - you need to shrink in x and stretch in y)

You do this by turning into block which you can then apply the two scale factors. About 2 minutes of effort. (maybe less time than that since I already calculated the scale factors for you)

Thanks, but after ive decided the sfx and sfy, how do i apply that to make my object scaled to those dimensions?

Scale applies a uniform scale to both X and Y.

You need non-uniform scales, one for X and one for Y.

your

sfx=31/36 and your sfy=24/21 (where sf = scale factor) (in words - you need to shrink in x and stretch in y)

You do this by turning into block which you can then apply the two scale factors. About 2 minutes of effort.

_block

then I guess you place the block with scale factors in r2010 - I can't remember back that far.

In 2013 you simply click on the block and change the Properties (I typed in the fractions and AutoCAD returned the decimals)

Scales.PNG

rkent answered that question in post #2.

Your rectangle must be made into a block. When the block is inserted you will have the option to input a different X/Y/Z scale. Simple.

Thanks a billion, im really appreciating this, the options available in 2010 also.

Do i just divide both x's and both y's into eachother to get my scale factor for Scale X and Scale Y?

eg. (x) 21"/36" and (y) 21"/24"

_block

then I guess you place the block with scale factors in r2010 - I can't remember back that far.

In 2013 you simply click on the block and change the Properties (I typed in the fractions and AutoCAD returned the decimals)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41131[/ATTACH]

Ok ,whats the calculation to figure out the xyz scale?

rkent answered that question in post #2.

Your rectangle must be made into a block. When the block is inserted you will have the option to input a different X/Y/Z scale. Simple.

:DYessssssss i got it, thank you so much JD MATHER & RKENT. :celebrate:

I did some further research and discovered, what I was trying to do, was a term used called NON UNIFORM SCALE, (thanks again JD MATHER :wink:), in which the scaling of X and Y arn't in uniform.

Special thanks to JD MATHER for taking the time out to explain it to me.

Edited by SLW210
Unnecessary comment removed...

dougglestyle -- I know that you have solved your problem but here is another way to do it.

I did this in AUTOCADLT 2000 Took me about 15 minutes to draw the space and the object to put into in and block it and then insert it into the space.

Drawing1.dwg

For 2d Curve geometry, here is another option for Non-Uniform Scale. The STSC_Projective2D command found here:

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/AMECH/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3astsc_projective2d_2013%3aen

Here is a Chronicle Screencast of that command in action:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/87172191-34fe-43b0-9437-f9f3ef5ff22f

As an aside, here are a couple of other screen casts demonstrating that command during a “to” and “from” Perspective transformation.

http://screencast.com/t/SAqWNXpN3L

http://screencast.com/t/I4aydXRee

The last one was created as a response to this blog post:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2012/08/creating-3d-street-art-using-autocad.html

Wow, thats it exactly!:D Thanks for taking your time to confirm it to me and for helping everyone else out, your kindness is very much appreciated.:)

dougglestyle -- I know that you have solved your problem but here is another way to do it.

I did this in AUTOCADLT 2000 Took me about 15 minutes to draw the space and the object to put into in and block it and then insert it into the space.

Edited by Cad64
Fixed quote tags

Oh my goodness!!!! :shock:Thank you so much very, as a newbie i had no idea theres other ways, autocad's amazing!:D

When i have time, ill try downloading those plugins, but for now im still learning the basics of autocad

:cry: