Get Company template on AutoCAD first run?

Keywordkid

Is there a way I can force AutoCAD to run my company template for first run installations?

I have a start up script and enviromentals set to load search paths and I have set a number of these in the deployment package to direct AutoCAD to the correct locations. All the elements work perfectly on the second run but when a user logs onto a work station they haven't used previously AutoCAD installs as a first run and loads the AutoCAD default template.

It's a minor irritation but I'd like the software to run as defined whenever anyone either logs into a new workstation or is a new employee.

We're using Autodesk Design Suite Standard 2012, I'm currently testing deployments with 2013 - Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks.

CONFIG

FILES

Template settings

Drawing template file location

your dwg next

Also look into using profiles these are your custom settings saved need to edit the desktop icon to use your "Profile" search here lots about "profiles"

The preference specified above by BIGAL will allow you to define the folder where AutoCAD will look for template files. Along that, you may want to set the Default Template File Name for QNEW from the same spot. The template file you will indicate here will be used as default when start a new drawing using QNEW command; that it, you will be no longer prompted to pick the desired template. It doesn't affect however the NEW command.

Thanks folks,

I do already have these defined, infact I have them loaded fresh on every run as I have them set in a startup script. From BIGAL's comment on a previous post it sounds like you don't really experience this for your users as they are set up individually. Due to hot desk scenarios I have users logging on to different PC's for the first time so along with their newly created Windows profile they get to experience the first run installation of AutoCAD, it is here I want to get all the settings deployed first time but in reality everything loads except the company DWT on this first run it loads the default ACAD.dwt. Closing the software and running a second time fixes this and from then on it loads everything as expected. If I can deploy the new version with my company dwt instead of the default this should fix the problem except as far as I can deduce it is loaded into

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\R18.2\enu\Template
so I don't see how I can fix this for every different user:?

• 4 months later...

I have been revisiting this scenario with a new build of 2014 waiting to be deployed.

It was bugging me that users would not get the company template on the first run of AutoCAD and then I came across the following from Autodesk Exchange:

If you use a command line switch to specify an environment setting, the command line switch overrides the settings specified in either the Options dialog box or the environment variable
So I tried setting the template location via the shortcut switch, deleted the registry profile to initiate a first run scenario and bingo my template loaded!! :D

It was a minor issue but irritating I'm glad to see the back of it.

The preference specified above by BIGAL will allow you to define the folder where AutoCAD will look for template files. Along that, you may want to set the Default Template File Name for QNEW from the same spot. The template file you will indicate here will be used as default when start a new drawing using QNEW command; that it, you will be no longer prompted to pick the desired template. It doesn't affect however the NEW command.

Any way to affect "NEW" command?

I got Startup variable set to 1.

When I open new drawing, dialog box show imperial and metric template. Is any way to override this setting to force AutoCAD to open my template?