Importing Fabmep dwg into 3ds Max?

chriskaykinetic

Hello,

I am a complete newcomer to 3ds max 2014. I installed it as i was under the impression i could import one of my 3d dwg files into 3ds max and save it as a *.u3d file (Planning on using said .u3d file in a pdf presentation)

I have tried all day to import my original file into max to no avail (My file is drawn using famricatio cad mep 2013 and is a mechanical pipework model).

Every time i import it just appears blank. I installed a 2014 object enabler as i thought this might be the problem but nothings happening. As a matter of interest i drew a box on a seperate cad drawing and it imported no problem? Any help out there? i'm really struggling :(

Chris

If you have photoshop you can export your model in 3ds max to the .obj format and in photoshop you can export the 3d layer to the u3d format.

I hope this helps.

the .3ds format can also be imported into photoshop.

:pirate::pirate:

hi there, thanks for the reply, but you may have misread.. my problem is actually getting the dwg into 3ds max. if i could get the model to show up in there i think i could manage the rest.

Chris

What exactly is your model composed of?

What is the file extension you are trying to import?

What software are you using to create the 3D PDF?

The model is a small sample consisting of pipework & fittings drawn in Fabmep2013.

Its a .dwg

I'm planning on using adobe acrobat XI to create the pdf (Once i get the .u3d to work)

But, what exactly are these objects, blocks, meshes, surfaces, etc.?

I think you can use the .dwg in Acrobat, at least in Acrobat 8.

If you have photoshop you can export your model in 3ds max to the .obj format and in photoshop you can export the 3d layer to the u3d format.

I hope this helps.

the .3ds format can also be imported into photoshop.

Photoshop cannot import .obj and .3ds format. You need Photoshop Extended in order to import those file types.

CAD64, the file is too big, i tried to zip it but the file limit is even smaller for zipped files :(. I had deleted so much off it just to send it that it was unrecognizable.

SLW210: They are all objects.

Chris (Glasgow)

ps i dont know if its because im a newbie, but the file limit is 1MB and 500kb for .zip files? seems a bit tight.

CAD64, the file is too big, i tried to zip it but the file limit is even smaller for zipped files :(. I had deleted so much off it just to send it that it was unrecognizable.

I'm wondering why your file size is so large? Even after deleting parts it's still too big?

Can you put the file up on a file hosting site, like Dropbox, and then post the link here?

I'm wondering why your file size is so large? Even after deleting parts it's still too big?

Can you put the file up on a file hosting site, like Dropbox, and then post the link here?

Since we have to guess, I think this third party App is creating a custom object of some type. Thinking along those lines a simple Export to AutoCAD might create a usable .dwg.

Since we have to guess, I think this third party App is creating a custom object of some type. Thinking along those lines a simple Export to AutoCAD might create a usable .dwg.

You might be right about the custom objects. Maybe Studio Max doesn't recognize them? :unsure:

I don't know what file formats you can save or export, but see if you can create a .dxf, .iges, .stl or .sat file. Studio Max can import all of those file formats and maybe one of those will work?

Photoshop cannot import .obj and .3ds format. You need Photoshop Extended in order to import those file types.

Photoshop cs3 and up, I should have made my statement more lucid.

Photoshop cs3 and up, I should have made my statement more lucid.

In order to work with 3D files you need Photoshop "Extended". Plain Photoshop will not open or import .3ds or .obj files.

In order to work with 3D files you need Photoshop "Extended". Plain Photoshop will not open or import .3ds or .obj files.

Now I know. I haven't thought of this. Keep it up! 8)

Yeah, it imported just fine for me, after I opened the .dwg and saved down to 2007 format. My Studio Max 2011 couldn't import the file you provided because it was saved in a newer format. Glad to hear you're up and running now. Post back if you have any more problems.