Urgently need help on rendering

gizumo012

hi,

im trying to render a 1600frames of animations in 3D max 2014.

its an animation of a very short street to a main building, window blocks extruding at different points. It has many polygons, quite a number of lights, reflection all these stuffs.

but the rendering is TOO LONG..its on a pretty high end comp.

is there any advice on the setting to set the rendering faster yet at a good/acceptable quality?

appreciate all help!

thank you!

You posted your question in the Autocad 3D section. I have moved it to the Studio Max section.

When you say the rendering is "TOO LONG", what does that mean?

How long is it taking to render each frame?

What are your render settings?

Are you using Vray or Mental Ray or other?

You mentioned that your scene has "many polygons". How many?

You said it has "quite a number of lights". How many and what type of lights?

Reflection? Do you mean windows with fully reflective glass or are you talking about materials that have reflection enabled. What types of materials are you using?

All of the above will add time to your rendering.

If you can, optimize your scene. Simplify your models. Delete polygons that will never be seen by the camera.

Eliminate any lights that you don't really need.

If materials don't need to be reflective, eliminate the reflectivity. Also, if you can get away with it, use bump maps instead of displacement.

Cloud computing is the future, I could get two more of the computers that i have and beat your single High End machine. I'm running an I7-720 qm with 6Gb of ram.

To reduce time...

Utilize backburner from autodesk (cloud computing More than one computer is needed.)

VRAY or Mental Ray?

regardless of what render engine you are using there will always be quality settings.

If you're on V-ray there is a memory usage value by default if i recall is 400, set it to 0 if you think you have enough ram for the job.

If you're using Mental Ray or Vray you can set the Final Gather Cache/ Light Cache utilization settings... "With this you can tell your renderer to use the light solution for more than one frame."

Reusing the light solution will save you hours of render time.

Next look at your material

Vray and mental ray materials have quality settings controlled by the user but ultimately limited by the render engine settings "Samples"

Reflection samples

In vray there is also a parameter that if incorrectly set will cause extremely long render times with quality that can be better or worse.

this parameter is the clr treshold .

The lower the better at a certain point there will be no difference. I would use a common value of .005 or .006

the higher the worse which will cause artifacts.

Another subject of interest I'm sure you've heard of it .. Cad64 can help you on this he is an expert on the subject of proxies.

Proxy objects will reduce your ram consumption.

Next.. Do you really need that many polygons?

Consider the use of the pro optimizer modifier on high polygon objects.

there are many performance tips to use with 3ds max this is a random over view of what you can do.

your original post was too broad.

I hope this helped

Another subject of interest I'm sure you've heard of it .. Cad64 can help you on this he is an expert on the subject of proxies.

Proxy objects will reduce your ram consumption.

Yes, converting your high poly objects to proxies will help. This is especially helpful if you have a lot of trees and plants in your scene. Using proxies will allow you to have millions of polygons in your scene without having your computer blow a gasket under the strain of having to process all that geometry. Proxies are awesome. :)

You never replied back, so I don't know if you're using Mental Ray or Vray, but here is a good tutorial on Mental Ray proxies: