Project Set-up. Linking files

Nick-H-

Good Afternoon.

What is the best thing to do when doing a full MEP project to keep the project from lagging (computer) my template file is 40mb.

I keep reading that it is best to split the project in to one Electrical model and one Mechanical model and link them in to co-ordinate the two does this work well and keep the file smaller?

cheers

Nick

I disagree. Revit is best utilized if you use a combined model.

What exactly is "lagging"? Syncing to Central, or just workflow in general? And how robust are your computer specs? Revit is a resource hog....

Best practices I use is I have "Model" views and "Plot" views. My model views (Plan or Section/Elevation only, not 3D Views) are set to Wireframe, not Hidden, and I usually turn on Thin Lines. Just these two simple steps make Revit SO much easier to work with.

Best practices I use is I have "Model" views and "Plot" views. My model views (Plan or Section/Elevation only, not 3D Views) are set to Wireframe, not Hidden, and I usually turn on Thin Lines. Just these two simple steps make Revit SO much easier to work with.

I agree with Styk for speed. Though my mind hates wire-frame, I deal with the marginal degradation in speed to use hidden line.

Revit is indeed a resource hog, close out all your other programs if you can.

It doesn't seem as bad today, think my computer was just having a bad night last night. I was just trying to set a new project up linked the Arch revit model into my template and just doing everything just seemed to take an age.. panning round the drawing etc.. (I did notice in my 3D working mode view, it was set to realistic, dont think that helped)

do you guy link the Arch model in? that is what I did on my first project I have just managed to pick up some more work from that project (which was just a marketing excersise the client just wanted the vent and containment putting on the model and to make it look fancy so to speak) but now ive got a full model to revit M&E it will be fully designed by the client though.. but no doubt ill be back on here asking endless questions as normal you guys helped me out a lot last time cheers again

here are my computer specs...

AMD FirePro V7900 Professional GFX

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz @ 4.50GHz Sandybridge CPU

- Motherboard: EVGA SLI Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

- Cooler: Corsair A50 CPU Cooler

- Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/revit_tech_note.pdf is a good place to start.

I used to have a document with some good tips but cannot locate it at the moment. Will continue looking.

Here are a couple off of the top of my head. Obviously keeping you detail settings low will help a lot. If you are using Worksharing, Turn the Update Frequency all the way down.

Nick, your computer specs are plenty beefy to handle Revit. Also note that Revit is nowhere near as responsive as AutoCAD. I'm no programmer, but my guess would be that it's a SQL-based driven database CAD application. I'm not sure what database technology drives AutoCAD but under the hood, Revit is doing a heck of a lot more than AutoCAD is.

Yeah, your computer looks plenty capable.

For my MEP projects, I link the Arch and Struct models. For Arch, I link the MEP and Struct models. For Struct, I don't link anything cause it doesn't matter usually, lol; sometimes I link the others to get proper placement of needed members for platforms or what-not, but the links are removed when I'm done.