Area Calculation

DODGE

Hi Guys

This is probably a dumb question, but I don't use the area calculation tool that much. I was just working out a large area for concrete. I use TOOLS - INQUIRY - AREA. Thats all fine and it gives me the area, for instance, to keep it simple 4900 x 9000 = 44.10m² AutoCad displays it as 44100000.

I know it's not a major problem, but is there anyway I can get it to display as 44.10 or at least lose all the zeros.

Many thanks in advance

Are you working with polylines?

You could create a field, and set the additional formatting to describe it however you want. :)

If you use QUICK PROPERTIES, just set it up to include AREA as one of the

properties you want displayed for POLYLINES.

quick properties for polylines.JPG

create a field to convert to square meters.jpg

DODGE If you did not use lee-mac's program the following will work in AutocadLT 2000

choose -> FORMAT

choose -> UNITS

in UNITS in the PRECISION block change from 0.0000 to o.oo

choose -> OK

Then use the AREA command and choose all 4 corners

Press -> ENTER

welldriller, I think that DODGE's problem was that his drawing units were millimetres and he wanted the area in square metres. It is necessary to divide the area by 1000000.

I don't think that setting the units precision would help very much in this case.

welldriller, I think that DODGE's problem was that his drawing units were millimetres and he wanted the area in square metres. It is necessary to divide the area by 1000000.

I don't think that setting the units precision would help very much in this case.

eldon you are 100% correct -- I used the op's dimensions and can not find a way to get it to work.

Looks like he is going to have to use one of lee-mack's fine programs

Dadgad I tried this on my program but it says lisp will not work in it. AutocadLT 2000

I see that you are using Autocad 2012 -- I was wondering that if you had time (if not forget it) could draw a rectangle (rather large) and type this on the command line and let me know what happens.

(area=(area/1000000))

I don't know whether you have this facility - Calculation Modifier.

I found this when idly looking at the Help files for AutoCAD 2002

A calculation modifier style is a formula you can apply to an area that changes the calculated result of the area or perimeter value. You can create calculation modifier styles for a number of purposes: you can, for example, have modifiers that calculate plaster deductions, subtract areas for construction, or calculate the height of the tiling in a bathroom.

eldon: is the Calculation Modifier available in vanilla AutoCAD, or is it just in Architecture / MEP?

Possibly it is in Architecture :unsure:

I have Architectural Desktop 3.3, but only use it as basic AutoCAD. So the help files do not always distinguish between vanilla and Architecture. Sorry for the misdirection.

Possibly it is in Architecture :unsure:

I have Architectural Desktop 3.3, but only use it as basic AutoCAD. So the help files do not always distinguish between vanilla and Architecture. Sorry for the misdirection.

No problems, thanks for the info. I don't have my English available at the moment and could find no reference to it in my German version. I Googled but only found it with references to Architecture and MEP. What command do you use for it?

What command do you use for it?

I have not actually used it, but whilst looking for something else in the Help files, I came across it and thought it might be appropriate, if available.

I have not actually used it, but whilst looking for something else in the Help files, I came across it and thought it might be appropriate, if available.

If it is available it would be very handy for several things we do. Thanks for your time.