Can I import my 2D floor plans from AutoCAD into Revit to create the Model?

wsucad

We are just starting to convert to Revit. I have around 100 buildings with about 350 floor plans.

Can I import my 2d floor plans from AutoCAD into Revit to create the Model?

Sure you can. Do you work for WSU's facilities? If so let me know how you get a long with this as I might be in a similar situation. The decision has not been made yet but we might or I might start to get ahead of this.

I work in their construction department. I have been looking for some videos or tutorials on this without any luck. Do you know of any?

Cool, a colleague. Not in converting a 2D cad file into Revit but I am sure some are out there. I'll keep my eye out and see what I find. If you get started let me know and if you want we can make a sticky of a thread of your progress for others.

We are just starting to convert to Revit. I have around 100 buildings with about 350 floor plans.

Can I import my 2d floor plans from AutoCAD into Revit to create the Model?

Don't use the Import option, use the Link option. This way you don't embed AutoCRAP entities inside the Revit model. This will keep your Revit model clean, and will not bloat from non-Revit entities being imported in.

Many people have their own "best practices" but what I do is Link and AutoCAD floorplan, then use the Pick Lines tool to set the foundational wall layout, column grids, etc. It's pretty self explanatory.

Let us know how you do in your transition, we will guide you along.

You can always "Unload" your AutoCAD link so you don't have to keep hiding it in every view. Then "Reload" and it pops back in with the latest updates.

I hate AutoCRAP imports. Is it possible to disable that? I'm gonna try.