How do you save a file?

howitzer

Not exactly the acad world's most pressing question, but how do you save a file? In other words, do you just save and quit at whatever zoomed view you happen to be in, or do you zoom out to an overall view od some sort prior to saving/quitting?

I'm sure it's not super critical either way, but I'm kind of uptight about zooming out to save with an overall view. I always get annoyed, albeit only slightly, when I come into a file that somebody else saved zoomed in tightly.

I ALWAYS zoom > extents then save. One of our engineers always zooms in tight on the title block itself. I told him 99% I know I have the right drawing. I don't have to see the title block.

I have a lisp routine that zooms extents in MS, changes to PS, zooms extents, purges certain things, does an audit, saves, and quits. It is executed with a button on the Ribbon.

i have no idea how CIVIL 3D 2013 works but in LT 2000 if you save a file that you have zoomed out to you can not go back to the original starting point. in other words to start at the very beginning of your drawing you have ZOOM PREVIOUS till you get back to NO PREVIOUS DRAWING SAVED.

Sorry if i have butted in where i should not have -- if so feel free to tell me

I'm usually the only one working on a drawing. If I am not finished with a particular section, I leave it zoomed to that spot when saving out. It helps me remember what I haven't done yet. Conversely, If I have wrapped one up, or if someone else is likely to work on a drawing, I will zoom extents on every layout tab, go back to modelspace, zoom extents, and save out of the drawing. I then make myself a CYA copy of it on my USB drive, too.

I have a lisp routine that zooms extents in MS, changes to PS, zooms extents, purges certain things, does an audit, saves, and quits. It is executed with a button on the Ribbon.

I created a similar routine and handed it out to everyone in the office. No one used it but me. :roll:

I'm usually the only one working on a drawing. If I am not finished with a particular section, I leave it zoomed to that spot when saving out. It helps me remember what I haven't done yet. Conversely, If I have wrapped one up, or if someone else is likely to work on a drawing, I will zoom extents on every layout tab, go back to modelspace, zoom extents, and save out of the drawing. I then make myself a CYA copy of it on my USB drive, too.

Ok lack of knowledge on my part i have never used the zoom extents function for what i do (is for myself and family) i have always just used model space and layers ashamed to admit it but i have never used layouts. i need to start working on that.

also each time i quit working on a drawing i save it i also make one of those CYA copies only i put mine on a floppy disk or cd

I created a similar routine and handed it out to everyone in the office. No one used it but me. :roll:

You could always revised the code to not use Command calls and incorporate it as the Callback for a Command Reactor, then the simple act of Saving, Closing, or Quitting will accomplish what you're after without user interaction.

I do this for several aspects, purging regapps, setting our standard layers current for XREF, MVIEW, etc.

Sorry if i have butted in where i should not have -- if so feel free to tell me
I think it was an open question, so you should be safe here, except possibly from arguments.

Boy, don't I know the feeling!

Ok lack of knowledge on my part i have never used the zoom extents function
You should try it; it's very easy (ZOOM Extents) and quickly zooms you out to see everything.

I personally like to see the drawing in toto when I open it; but if it is just me working on it and I'm still working on it, then I also will save it zoomed in to where I am working.

I don't like to save a drawing zoomed in once it's done, nor do I like to open finished drawings left in that condition. I also don't like to see finished drawings opened for reference then SAVEd when no changes have been made. Often the one doing this has also zoomed in and left it that way.

Ok lack of knowledge on my part i have never used the zoom extents function for what i do (is for myself and family) i have always just used model space and layers ashamed to admit it but i have never used layouts. i need to start working on that.

also each time i quit working on a drawing i save it i also make one of those CYA copies only i put mine on a floppy disk or cd

Zoom extents merely zooms you out to where you can see everything in the workspace image, whether it is in model or on a paperspace layout. It is a button on my zoom toolbar. I dunno if 2000 even has toolbars, much less buttons,:unsure:

I second the zoom extents all tabs like others its a pick button on our menus also I think I am the only one to use it despite 8 cad stations

ZOOM.jpg

Zoom extents merely zooms you out to where you can see everything in the workspace image, whether it is in model or on a paperspace layout. It is a button on my zoom toolbar. I dunno if 2000 even has toolbars, much less buttons,:unsure:

yes i do ooops it put the screen shot above and not below where i wanted it. oh well this tells the tail

Edited by welldriller
correct sentance layout

I too zoom extents in both model space and paperspace before saving and closing.

When I am saving a finished or checked drawing I use a button which will

run the commandline purge targeting regapps first, then purging all, then auditing and fixing any issues,

then it saves and runs the regular PURGE command, for good measure.

Occasionally that last purge will reveal a bad layer.

If I am working on a drawing and want to make sure I don't forget that it was still a work in progress,

I put a REVCLOUD around the whole thing in paperspace, which makes it easy to spot,

and hard to overlook down the road when I get back in the caddle.

Zoom extents in model space, go to first sheet in paperspace and zoom extents.

Once drawing is finished: As above although first also purge & audit and zoom extents on all paperspace layouts (for which I use a lisp).

If I am not finished with a particular section, I leave it zoomed to that spot... if someone else is likely to work on a drawing, I will zoom extents on every layout tab, go back to modelspace, zoom extents, and save the drawing.

+1

I wish more people would put that into practice.

There's a practical reason for zooming out before you save. If you're using thumbnails, that tells you something about the drawing before you even open it.

My predecessor often changed sheet numbers (or more likely total sheet numbers, e.g. "sheet 4 of 7") before saving. That means a lot of thumbnails are just a cyan rectangle on the left side of the pane. Not much help.