.ERR and .DMP files

EMS_0525

At my last place there was a guy that i thaught knew cad really well, this was when i was inexperienced. Once i got to know the program well i realized he didnt know as much as i thaught. :roll:

One thing he was always very adamant about was erasing the .ERR and .DMP files after autocad crashed, he was certain that it messed up cad after you restarted it. What are your opinions or facts on what these files are and if they NEED to be removed. Thanks in advance.

I searched for .err and .dmp on the forum and turned up nothing.

Since I don't know how to interpret them or use them I usually delete them providing AutoCAD starts correctly next time. I have always assumed the DMP to be a dump file of the last drawing which it might be possible to recover the drawing from (if you know how). The err may give some info on why the program crashed but again I couldn't do anything about it.

Since they don't give me anything useful I get rid of them.