Doorways/Openings Close when Scale Changes

Malgibbs

I'm using AutoCAD 2013. I'd still consider myself a novice at Autocad, but I've been using it since 2008....just for residential floor plans. Layout management has never really been a problem for me. I do not know what's going on today. Apparently it's not a common problem either. I'm hoping I'm just having a brain freeze kind of day.

When I change the scale of my floor plan in the layout from 1/8"=1'0" to 3/32"=1'0", my doors "close." It's so strange. The swings disappear and all the doors, and cased openings are closed.

I changed my Ltscale to 1, thinking that was the problem, but no.

When I change the scale back to something larger, they come back!

I have NO clue why this is happening.

Thanks for any help.

Omg. Ok, I changed my precision to 1/32", and the doors and swings are back! Thank you Thank you!

But the strange thing is...now I have my door swings back, but the openings are still closed. Does that make sense? This is so weird!

AND, when I print to PDF, they disappear all together again.

Yes, it sounds weird.

As for PDFs...well let's just say I am not a big fan of their use. Problems with PDFs are the bane of the CAD world. We're just too enamored of them to realize it. Sorry, can't help you there.

LOL....it's seems to be the only thing Staples know how to work with.

Here's another weird bit:

This is my 4th Layout I'm preparing....I'm setting it up the EXACT same way. Arch D size paper, monochrome, show lineweights, etc. The ONLY difference is that I want this layout to be in 3/32" scale, where the others are 1/8". UGGHH.....frustrating.

Thanks so much for trying to help me. I was just sitting here at my little cubicle....completely and utterly stumped, just waiting on someone to reply!

Ok, I've been playing around with it....for some reason the doors/swings work fine once I exploded them. I have no idea why. But I guess I'll go explode them all!

How many are there?

Once you explode a block you're left dealing with separate entities. Depending on how the block was created it could be a handful or a heck of a lot more.

There are between 50 & 60 I'd guess.

Could I be having these issues because the doors are "AEC Doors" and the walls are "AEC walls"? I'm not familiar with working with them. Unfortunately I'm picking up where someone else left off....he used AEC objects a lot from what I can tell. Also, he may have used Architecture, and I'm using AutoCAD. In school we always drew our own doors and swings, so that's what I've always done.

Here is the proper way to deal with those AEC Objects.

The -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD and AECTOACAD commands create a new file and explode all the proxy AEC objects into regular AutoCAD objects. The intelligence of the AEC objects is lost in the new file, but the former AEC objects can be modified.