Material Take Off from Revit

SAA84

Hello,

I was given a .nwd (Navisworks) file today, with the end goal of doing a fairly accurate MTO of the amount of cable tray work in a building. The different sizes of tray work (150mm/300mm/600mm/etc) are all on a separate layer in the .dwg from which the .nwd has been produced.

Having never really used Navisworks before it appears to be not much more than 3D viewing software - I can take measurements but it would be very time consuming. I was hoping it would spit out an MTO for me and save me a lot of hassle.

My question is thus: If I could get my hands on the original .dwg (I assume it was produced in Revit), would I be able to do a MTO of the total length of each size of tray work? And if yes, would it allow for the 90° vertical and 90° horizontal bends in the runs - or would it depend on how it was originally drawn?

Also, we have a Revit Architecture at work - however I would imagine that the original .dwg would have been produced in Revit Structural? Am I likely to have to get a version of that in order to produce the MTO if it can be produced?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming the file was created from a recent Revit version 2011+ you could certainly does this. Scheduling is the best way. You could create a cable tray schedule, add the parameters for length and type, sort and total as necessary.

Depending on the version of Revit and the level of development by the modelers this should be made easy.

It reminds me of the time I used schedules to output pipe volumes to calculate expansion. Made easy with system schedules with embedded schedules for pipe and pipe fittings.

There is an inbuilt QTO tool in the same fly out as create schedules. Depending on your expected flexibly with the modeled data that may work.

MSH

I believe any version of Revit should do. Keep in mind Revit cannot open models developed in a newer version of Revit.