Windows 7 automatic compatibility issue

the-trooper

Hello forum, a couple of days ago windows 7 decided, upon no special event what so ever (i just moved acad window), that acad needs automatic compatibility forced. I got that "program did not work properly and i will apply automatic compatibility on the next use" message. No way of telling it screw you leave everything as it is.

Since then i didn't have any real problem with acad, except one thing. Switching from one open drawing to another takes a long time. First it pauses, then switches, then tab takes some time to display drawings name, and then i can use it. Really annoying if i need to switch between drawings alot.

Is there any way to get acad out of that damn automatic compatibility?

Win7 64bit

Acad 2014

Thanks in advance!

Well hold on a minute and let me try. I've yet to load my 64-bit version of AutoCAD 2014 on my 64-bit computer.

I'm running Win7 Pro. And you?

In the words of the Terminator...."I'll be back."8)

Win7 Ultimate

Thank you very much on your effort, i'm just afraid that recreating that behavior will be very hard or impossible. It's probably some glitch somewhere in depths of all programs that are installed on my PC. Like i said it happened when i moved AC (i have aero on). But i moved it hundreds of time before.

Also, i tried disabling file tabs, and, i don't know... Maybe a little faster.

Edited by the-trooper

You're right. I was unable to recreate the problem on my system.

Normally I'd suggest running a REPAIR of the installation but in your case I might consider a complete uninstall / reinstall. I can't think of any reason why 64-bit AutoCAD on a 64-bit computer would require being run in some sort of compatibility mode. It doesn't make any sense.

What do you mean by "...i moved AC..."? Moved it how/where?

No explanation for what happened, but perhaps try restoring Windows to the last restore point before the problem.

No explanation for what happened, but perhaps try restoring Windows to the last restore point before the problem.

+1 I would try that first, then an AutoCAD reinstall if restore doesn't work.

but in your case I might consider a complete uninstall / reinstall.

I was thinking that too, but i presumed, knowing windows, that probably in registry (or somewhere) now sits a little line that just waits for acad and when it detects one being installed it's all happy and giggity going "oooo, look! Acad installation, i know this one! Lets f**k it up!" :D

It doesn't make any sense.
Not the first one with Windows.

What do you mean by "...i moved AC..."? Moved it how/where?
Grabbed title bar and dragged it aside, or to another monitor, i don't remember. Nothing i haven't done many times before.

If only i was meticulous about these point as i should be... :(

Almost forgot, at the same time that windows decided that acad needs compatibility, acad gave me "the configure Heidi driver cannot be loaded. Swithcing to default sofware driver" error. After i restarted acad nothing that i could see changed. Hardware acceleration was on, and everything was working fine. Just that one thing. Oh, well, i'll just live with it.

Grabbed title bar and dragged it aside, or to another monitor, i don't remember. Nothing i haven't done many times before.

I can see dragging to another monitor potentially causing a problem, especially if you're not running a video driver certified for 2014, and even more so if the monitors have different resolutions.

If only i was meticulous about these point as i should be... :(

Win7 is pretty "meticulous" about this by itself. Unless you reduced the default settings, I would have to say there's a restore point immediately before the last piece of software you installed.

Almost forgot, at the same time that windows decided that acad needs compatibility, acad gave me "the configure Heidi driver cannot be loaded. Swithcing to default sofware driver" error.

No surprise Windows switched compability after that warning. I still think restore should put it back, then check for a certified video driver. Otherwise repair or reinstall and check for a certified driver.

I can see dragging to another monitor potentially causing a problem, especially if you're not running a video driver certified for 2014, and even more so if the monitors have different resolutions.

Check, check and check :D I'll make sure not to drag it to that other monitor no more.

If anyone ever needs a solution to this problem here it is, option three, step five. Worked great!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

OPTION THREE
To Set Compatibility Mode of Application in Registry Editor

1. Open the Start Menu, then type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

3. In regedit, navigate to each location below one at a time and do the steps below for each location. (see screenshot below) 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

5. To Stop a Program from Running in Compatibility Mode

In the right pane of Layers, right click on the full path Name and click on Delete.
Click on Yes to confirm deletion. (see screenshot below)

6. Close regedit when done.
NOTE: Some programs may require you to restart the computer for this to be applied.

Now i see that my 64bit 3dsMax is also shoved in there (i don't even remember when). Hmmm, i wonder...