How do I apply or finalize a Modifier?

tzframpton

I made a simple Rectangle and applied a simple Fillet/Chamfer Modifier. I don't know how to finalize this action though and gives me this Warning. I feel humbled right now because I know this is one of those "dumb questions" that is so simple.

Capture.PNG

Also, how can I take control of the 2D tools and input exact values and coordinates? I don't guess it works like AutoCAD, which is fine, but I do need to know how to be exact in Max.

Thanks in advance!

Using your example of the rectangle, you can set the exact size by adjusting the spinners under the "Parameters" rollout as shown in the screenshot below. You can also apply a corner radius there as well which would mean you don't need the Fillet/Chamfer modifier, unless you are creating a chamfer, then you will still need the modifier.

If you do use the modifier, and you want to finalize the action, just right click on the "Fillet/Chamfer" modifier and choose "Collapse To" from the pop up menu. That will apply the modifier to the rectangle and remove it from the stack.

That pop up warning message is just to remind you that there is a modifier on your object, so if you change anything about your object, it may effect the way the modifier works.

Rectangle.jpg

Also, in case you didn't know, the Fillet/Chamfer modifier works on selected vertices. So if you wanted to chamfer all 4 corners you will need to window select the 4 vertices of the rectangle and then adjust the chamfer distance spinner for the amount of chamfer that you want. Or you can pick individual vertices and chamfer each one a different amount. Or you could chamfer the 2 bottom corners and fillet the 2 top corners or whatever you want. You just have to select the vertices you want to effect and then adjust the spinner.

Modifier.jpg

Ahhhh, "Collapse To" is what I was after. So, if I may, let me ask you this - just for clarity is all. When something is selected, I notice the Name is at the top of the Command Panel, then the Modifiers List drop down and finally the object entities. I'm assuming up to this point, then when a Modifier is applied, it's "saved" to that particular object. I can unselect that object and select other objects, and just do whatever, and when I come back to that object the Modifier is still there. As long as it's still active I can continue to make edits to it. So is it common practice to just leave the Modifier applied and only Collapse To when you're truly finished, or when needed? I noticed that with the Modifier active, I cannot edit the Rectangle unless I delete the Modifier. When I Collapse To, the Rectangle no longer is editable but has now translated to an Editable Spline.

Sorry for the super basic questions.... I'm the king of "stupid questions". Just ask the engineers in my office, lol. Anyways, thanks again, and I did already understand your 2nd post. I remember taking 3ds Max course back in college (back in year 2002-03'ish) and remember the different selection modes. That's about all I remember though.

I'm actually having fun in Max so far. Should have done this long ago. 8)

Yeah, you can leave the modifiers in the stack if you want and they will always be there. You can even close the file and open it later and the modifiers will still be there. The only drawback to leaving them on the object is that they can start to bog down your scene in large complicated files. The more modifiers you have, the more Studio Max has to keep track of. I will usually only leave the modifiers on the object until I'm completely happy with what I've created and then I will collapse the stack.

Don't worry about asking questions. I like helping out and I don't consider any question to be stupid. Especially when you're learning.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing when you're modelling (I wish someone told me this) - if you want to scale an object, try to either use the spinner (if its a primitive) or do it in one of the subobject modes. Rather than just selecting objects and scaling in the regular way.

It will prevent odd things from happening. Also try not to use mirrored instances.