Memory

OldRed

I have a new machine the company purchased for CAD Detailing. We just started using Revit and the larger files, 300mb, are sending my machine into gag reflex. It only has 4 gb ram (4 slots); 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 non-ECC Unbuffered RAM, and I want to upgrade, thinking I'll just max out at 32.

Any thoughts on this? Would these, Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory, do the job?

Dave

Is it any wonder why your computer is choking? 4GB of RAM and you are attempting to edit a 300MB drawing? Yeah, you'll need to bump that up significantly. Have you attempted to do anything to reduce the file size like using Xrefs? Have you purged and audited the drawing as well? Can you freeze a number of layers while working on the drawing?

Before purchasing that much RAM, make sure the motherboard will read 32 GB. Go to CRUCIAL.COM and select your computer brand and model (or use the system scan) to determine the proper RAM and amount for your computers motherboard.

I knew it would have to be upgraded. I'm new to Revit, is it possible to trim parts of a Revit model without opening, similar to opening w/o x refs in CAD? It was attempting to reduce the size after opening that wasted a big part of muy day.

Thanks for the Crucial link. Looks like I can go with 32gb if I remove the 2 2gb modules.

Are you utilizing Worksets? An article published by Hagerman & Co. (re: Revit and Worksharing) suggests that you can realize some performance gains by turning off selected Worksets that don’t need to be seen or edited.

Before you run off and buy 32GB of RAM, what are the specs of the computer? If you're not running a Core i7 Ivy Bridge then I'd highly recommend upgrading the computer as a whole. But I believe the new Intel processors just got released or announced so might even look into the brand new ones. Just depends on your company's budget. 3rd Gen Intel's should be dropping very soon, though.