Battman Sync...

dortega4269

I have about 50 dynamic blocks I place into my drawings that update using fields. They all insert at a standard dimension until I select it and edit the dynamic height. Once I save the drawing the attributes and fields update to reflect the new dynamic height, however, the attributes do not follow the objects to their new height, in order for this to happen I must use the BATTMAN Sync feature.

Now here is the catch, when I place a dynamic block (Casework), enter the height and apply it to a layer, the attribute does not follow until I use the BATTMAN Sync feature, but if I simply select 'Casework' from the list the dynamic height is reset back to the blocks original state it was created. To avoid this I must select the *U## blocks from the list that represent all of the blocks I have inserted into the current drawing. The more blocks I insert into the drawing the longer the list. If I delete a block (*U500) the number is removed and the list continues from the highest number no matter if the block was deleted (*U501).

What I'm looking for is a routine that would select all of the blocks within the BATTMAN menu only containing the *U## and apply the SYNC function.

I have no clue if this is even possible, but this task is painstakingly tedious because the *U## given to the blocks is in no way decipherable which means you must sync each block individually until you hit the block you need -- when you have inserted 500 blocks the list is ridiculously long.:?

Attributedoesnotfollowblock_zps8c982678.png

Battmanmenuwithinsertedblocklist_zpse5714189.png

AttributesUpdated_zps6de68e82.png

Edited by dortega4269
Added BIMages

I can't seem to find any command variables or command line functions for the BATTMAN command to try to even begin writing code. I've even tried creating a macro but the sync menu prompt doesn't have a shortcut either... does anyone out there have an idea of making using the BATTMAN command faster and by suppressing the menu prompts? :facepalm:

Have you tried ATTSYNC?

Thanks for the comment SLW210 :) , however, ATTSYNC only updates the field(s) and does not update the field location...

Anyone else have any ideas?

ATTSYNC is the same as the Sync in BATTMAN, AFAIK. It Syncs Attributes.

Thanks SLW210 for the help and comments. I too thought that ATTSYNC was the same or similar to BATTMAN SYNC, however, as you will notice in the video I created (see link) my blocks behave oddly and they are giving me more work than necessary. :?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone out there know of a way to execute Battman or Sync from within the Battman command on the commandline? If so, I can maybe utilize a macro...

I have been doing lots of research and I found that the Unicode (*Uxxx) is actually referred to as an Anonymous Name. Lee Mac has a few routines that may prove to be helpful (http://www.lee-mac.com/getanonymousreferences.html) & (http://www.lee-mac.com/effectivename.html), however, I am still in the dark about achieving a BATTMAN/SYNC (not ATTSYNC) using code. I figure that Lee Mac's code will find the Dynamic Blocks in Unicode, next i need to call up the BATTMAN command and execute the SYNC command on the Unicode Blocks found.

I have found a pretty simple trick to find the actual Unicode name (anonymous name) by using the LIST command and selecting a Dynamic Block (I can't believe I never thought of that) which is great. Is there anyway to add the anonymous name to the Rollover Tooltips menu, to make the process even faster until I figure out how to write code and automate the process?

RolloverTooltips_zpsfcd5a445.png

Edited by dortega4269
Added links to Lee Mac's website

To clarify a few things:

• The sync option in the BATTMAN command is the same as performing the ATTSYNC command, as SLW correctly states.

• When syncing attributes in dynamic blocks, you should be able to sync the true (effective) dynamic block name, and attributes will be synced across all references of the dynamic block (including all anonymous references).

• The *U### block name is not Unicode but simply an anonymous block name (though, I can understand how the confusion would arise), - I would hazard a guess that the 'U' prefix stands for 'Unnamed', just as anonymous dimension block references are prefixed '*D###' (there are also *A###, & *E### anonymous blocks if I recall).

• The sequence of numbers following the *U prefix in the anonymous block name is automatically generated by AutoCAD and is not persistent between drawing sessions - that is, a new set of anonymous block names will be generated every time the drawing is opened.

Now, regarding the issue you are experiencing with your attributes - it looks to me as though the dynamic block has not been constructed correctly.

Thanks for the reply Lee Mac.

To clarify a few things:

• The sync option in the BATTMAN command is the same as performing the ATTSYNC command, as SLW correctly states. I think I proved otherwise with my block and I believe its because of the FIELD referencing the Layer Name

• When syncing attributes in dynamic blocks, you should be able to sync the true (effective) dynamic block name, and attributes will be synced across all references of the dynamic block (including all anonymous references). I have shown that when this is done the block resets to its default. I use one Dynamic Block several times, under different layer names to track specific items within my drawing which means they are not all reporting the same information.

• The *U### block name is not Unicode but simply an anonymous block name (though, I can understand how the confusion would arise), - I would hazard a guess that the 'U' prefix stands for 'Unnamed', just as anonymous dimension block references are prefixed '*D###' (there are also *A###, & *E### anonymous blocks if I recall).

• The sequence of numbers following the *U prefix in the anonymous block name is automatically generated by AutoCAD and is not persistent between drawing sessions - that is, a new set of anonymous block names will be generated every time the drawing is opened. I understand that this process perfectly, I only wanted to know if there would be a way to update all of these anonymous names, no matter what name was used, to utilizing a Lisp routine/code.

Now, regarding the issue you are experiencing with your attributes - it looks to me as though the dynamic block has not been constructed correctly. My block is fairly straight forward, yet minorly complex, due to various selections of items to enable the change in elevation or length independently or in unison. I have attached a sample for you to look over if it suits you...

Any questions or comments help...

backing.dwg

One thing that looks wrong to me is that the field name appears to include the suffix text in a couple of places, e.g., 'L' ROW1" LONG. Shouldn't it show as two separate items, that is, the field followed by the text, e.g., 'L' ROW1" LONG, or am I missing something here?

What if you're completely wrong Dortega?

"What if" I knew what you were referring to?? :lol:

Sorry Tuns, but I've made this whole situation occur with the little knowledge I have of creating Dynamic Blocks, with that said, I could be wrong on multiple levels. Which level might you be referring too?

One thing that looks wrong to me is that the field name appears to include the suffix text in a couple of places, e.g., 'L' ROW1" LONG. Shouldn't it show as two separate items, that is, the field followed by the text, e.g., 'L' ROW1" LONG, or am I missing something here?

Under the FIELD setting you have the ability to add a prefix or suffix automatically to the FIELD, which is what I have done. I don't believe it's wrong, but I believe it can be done either way - don't you agree?

FIELD Only

FieldOnly_zps6962ed9a.png

FIELD w/ Suffix

FieldwSuffix_zps664c413e.png

Well, I'm only saying it looked wrong to me, and that was because, when I opened the Block Editor, the two were highlighted and selectable only as a unit. That is, the result appeared to be wrong. I can't say whether what you did to create it was the wrong way. And I can't be sure I was looking at it from the right point in the Block Editor. If it's right, it's right, and I have no problem with that. Hope you can figure out how to make it work for you.:)

"What if" I knew what you were referring to?? :lol:

Sorry Tuns, but I've made this whole situation occur with the little knowledge I have of creating Dynamic Blocks, with that said, I could be wrong on multiple levels. Which level might you be referring too?

Level 4.

Anyways, judging by what you've been told twice by two very smart people (SLW210 and Lee Mac), you should try to be less ignorant towards what they say. They're probably both right.

Under the FIELD setting you have the ability to add a prefix or suffix automatically to the FIELD, which is what I have done. I don't believe it's wrong, but I believe it can be done either way - don't you agree?

FIELD Only

FieldOnly_zps6962ed9a.png

FIELD w/ Suffix

FieldwSuffix_zps664c413e.png

Well, I'm only saying it looked wrong to me, and that was because, when I opened the Block Editor, the two were highlighted and selectable only as a unit. That is, the result appeared to be wrong. I can't say whether what you did to create it was the wrong way. And I can't be sure I was looking at it from the right point in the Block Editor. If it's right, it's right, and I have no problem with that. Hope you can figure out how to make it work for you.:)

I looked at this some more and, because the results are different, I believe it may still be worth taking a look at. When I create the field and text my way, they stay separate in the editor so that only the field has the grey highlighting, whereas in the block you posted it is all highlighted as one. However, I am not using a vertical product, nor 2013.

Another thing I noticed is that you are using the same TAG name for your attributes. Though allowed, this is usually not good, as programs cannot easily distinguish between them, as normally it is the TAG name one would use to know what to edit. I don't know what this might do to BATTMAN or ATTSYNC, but I would think it would present the same sort of problem.

• 2 months later...
Level 4.

Anyways, judging by what you've been told twice by two very smart people (SLW210 and Lee Mac), you should try to be less ignorant towards what they say. They're probably both right.

Another thing I noticed is that you are using the same TAG name for your attributes. Though allowed, this is usually not good, as programs cannot easily distinguish between them, as normally it is the TAG name one would use to know what to edit. I don't know what this might do to BATTMAN or ATTSYNC, but I would think it would present the same sort of problem.

@tuns/@neophoible/@SLW210/@ Lee Mac,

After reading over your comments several times and taking each comment into consideration without an objective outlook :surrender:

I found that each of you were correct and I apologize for not fully understanding what you were saying.

My problem was solved by simply changing all of the TAGS from a common naming scheme to a more specific naming scheme, meaning I added a two letter description and a number to each parameter and TAG within my dynamic block and the issue was solved.

Note:

ATTSYNC updates to block and restores the block back to its original state, however, once I enter the new information and the block takes its new position/elevation the TAG follows in elevation and updates its nomenclature without requiring BATTMAN/SYNC.

Thanks for the help...:notworthy:

Edited by dortega4269