XREF problems???.....

jaredmccullough

I have a drawing file with 8 XREF drawings from various engineering drawings. There is a layer filter to prevent from making changes to the original documents. I have made my adjustments and am trying to send them to a consultant but when I send him my file he explains that he is not able to view the XREF drawings but only the measurements I added. Can anyone help????

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaredmccullough

• RobDraw

• Dadgad

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In order to see the XREFs, he needs to have the XREF'd files and have them placed somewhere that AutoCAD can find them. The easiest way is to put them all in the same folder. ETransmit, as SLW210 suggested, works well for both sender and receiver, if done correctly.

Make that another vote for ETRANSMIT. :)

Be sure to check the available options so you set it up so it works best for you.

So I watched a tutorial and just as a secondary verification...........The best way to do this is to use ETRANSMIT create a zip file with all of the "Original" files that are used as XREF in the drawing I am used correct?

When using ETRANSMIT I am essentially making a conglomerative file with the original drawings which were XREF. Does this create an external folder somewhere that I need to send in the email or is this file created within AutoCAD and sends as part of the autocad file?

Etransmit will create a zip file which will have (depending on your options selected) either the working file and xref files referenced to the .zip, or it will bind the xrefs to the working file. Etransmit can also include text files, attachments in the forms of .tiff and .jpeg. again, depending on the options you choose. Just e-mail the .zip file created (it will ask you where you want to save it and where), and that should have everything they need.

• 1 month later...

This thread is a little old but I ran into complications now I am getting ready to send the file out. When using ETRANSMIT does it Bind the other referenced files. Also my assumption is it takes the current working files for the XREF drawings and those images at that time correct?

It does not Bind the Xrefs, it places them all in a .zip.

In AutoCAD Help for ETRANSMIT, there is a list of what is included and what you will have to add.

Ok I understand the ETRANSMIT now I am running into issues. I am trying to tidy up the XREF drawings, the individuals whose drawings these are added a couple layers that are colored and for my purposes distract from the drawing. I asked him to turn them off so I could make an ETRANSMIT and send it out to a consultant. By theory because these are XREF drawings they should update when he changes his drawings. That is not happening though, I have also tried the reload feature for the XREF drawings. Any thoughts

When you start the Etransmit, a dialog box will open, wherein you have lots of different options.

Binding is an option available in the Transmittal Setup, not a default behavior,

use the Modify icon to access all options.

The Etransmit can take a few different forms .zip is probably the most common,

but self extracting executable (.exe) or folders are a couple other choices.

Click on the dropdown menus to understand all your options.

E transmit modify setup.jpg

I am having issues with the ETRANSMIT feature all of the files are put into the .zip file but then when I open the drawing in the .zip file it comes up saying that the drawings are not found. I am thinking this might be because I have only read only access to these files that are XREF referenced but I can not figure out what the heck is going on.

As shown in the image from your SYSVDLG ... I believe you want to set it to 1.

I agree with what your saying but in relation to what you posted I am actually not making any changes to the XREF layers I am just using them as a "Picture" to build on top of so would that make a difference and how?????..........

I am having issues with the ETRANSMIT feature all of the files are put into the .zip file but then when I open the drawing in the .zip file it comes up saying that the drawings are not found. I am thinking this might be because I have only read only access to these files that are XREF referenced but I can not figure out what the heck is going on.

If you are opening the drawing from directly within the .zip file, AutoCAD will not find the XREFs. The package needs to be unzipped into a folder. If all the files are unzipped to the same folder, AutoCAD will find them automatically. If not, they will need to be re-pathed.

I agree with what your saying but in relation to what you posted I am actually not making any changes to the XREF layers I am just using them as a "Picture" to build on top of so would that make a difference and how?????..........

Changing the color of a layer IS making a change. That's what we are talking about, changing the layer properties, yes?

Changing the color of a layer IS making a change. That's what we are talking about, changing the layer properties, yes?

I have all layers that are referenced in filtered so I am not able to see or make changes them. I understand what changing the layer properities is but the only layers I make any adjustments to are the layers that were created in the drawing I am using (Not any XREF drawings). And how does the VISRETAIN Setting affected this am I alright on "0".