Right Click Rename for AutoCAD

BlackBox

I'm interested, but can you show an example of what the interface looks like after selecting Rename > Block from the right click menu. Also, what's the prompt if the new name already exists?

A video demo would be ideal IMO.

I'm interested, but can you show an example of what the interface looks like after selecting Rename > Block from the right click menu. Also, what's the prompt if the new name already exists?

Hi nestly, thanks for your interest. :)

The real value of this plug-in is the ability to graphically select a single entity, and have contextual access to rename entity-specific Properties (that can be renamed, otherwise disabled), without the need to manually invoke a Command, or scroll through the RENAME dialog itself to hunt for which item you want to modify, etc..

This plug-in uses the built-in -RENAME Command, where the 'old name' is supplied for the user programmatically, and the user need only enter the 'new name':

bbox.RightClickRename.block.prompt.png

... Thus, in the case of entering a Block name that already exists, the native behavior will result:

bbox.RightClickRename.block.prompt.result.png

A video demo would be ideal IMO.

To the best of my knowledge, Autodesk only allows for images at this time.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification... downloaded and installed

THANKS!

Is it possible to get a compiled installer for 2011?

Thanks for the clarification... downloaded and installed

THANKS!

No... Thank you, nestly! :beer:

Is it possible to get a compiled installer for 2011?

One step ahead of you there, please see this post:

If I upgrade to newer version I'll definitely be getting that!

FWIW - Autodesk Exchange requires the use of an Autoloader .bundle to support 2012-2014, but I've compiled the .NET assembly for 2012 using .NET 3.5 framework, so it can actually be NETLOADed into 2010, and 2011 as well (which I use at work daily, and how I tested this plug-in for production readiness for the past few months). :thumbsup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42683&d=1372344157

You'll have to walk me through it... NetLOAD is asking for a dll, how do I locate that?

*edit* Alright, I pulled my head out of the sand and located/loaded the dll. Now I have to figure out how to automatically load it for each session.

You'll have to walk me through it... NetLOAD is asking for a dll, how do I locate that?

The installer placed this plug-in .bundle here:

%AppData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\bbox_RightClickRename.bundle\

... And if you drill down to Contents, Windows, 2010 you'll find the assembly which is compatible for all 2010 Database format versions (i.e., 2010-2012):

bbox.RightClickRename.netload.2010.from.jpg

Now, to have this load each time you start either 2010, or 2011 (as Autoloader is only compatible with 2012-2014), I use this small snippet of code in my Acad.lsp file:

(vl-load-com)
;;;--------------------------------------------------------------------;
(defun c:AcadLsp (/ *error*)

(defun *error* (msg)
   (and oldCmdecho (setvar 'cmdecho oldCmdecho))
   (cond ((not msg))                                                   ; Normal exit
         ((member msg '("Function cancelled" "quit / exit abort")))    ; <esc> or (quit)
         ((princ (strcat "\n** Error: " msg " ** ")))                  ; Fatal error, display it
   )
   (princ)
 )

((lambda (oldCmdecho arxFiles netFiles)
    (setvar 'cmdecho 0)

(acad-push-dbmod)

;; Load arx utilities

(foreach x arxFiles
      (if (and (findfile x)
               (not (vl-position (vl-filename-base x) arxList))
          )
        (vl-catch-all-apply 'arxload (list x))
      )
    )

;; Load net utilities
    (foreach dll netFiles
      (if (findfile dll)
        (progn
          (terpri)
          (command "netload" dll)
        )
      )
    )

;;<-- other acad.lsp tasks here

(acad-pop-dbmod)

(*error* nil)
  )
   (getvar 'cmdecho)
   '(
     ;;<-- arx files here
    )
   '(
     [color="red"]"bbox_RightClickRename.bundle\\Contents\\Windows\\2010\\bbox_RightClickRename18.dll"[/color]
    )
 )

)
;;;--------------------------------------------------------------------;
(c:AcadLsp)
(prompt "\n... Acad.lsp loaded. ")
(princ)

... Which assumes this path has been added to SFSP:

%AppData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\

** NOTE - Both .ARX, and .NET assemblies need only be loaded once per session, which is why I do this in Acad.lsp

Hope this helps!

I'll download in a couple weeks when I get back from holiday.

Thanks for the info BlackBox!

You're very welcome; I'm happy to have the opportunity to contribute. :beer:

• 8 months later...

It's been a while, and just thought I'd share some positive news....

On the heels of having three apps selected as featured new app over the past three months... One in December 2013, and two in January 2014 (two already listed on my website, and I need to update the third).

I received an email from Autodesk today informing me that my product (Right Click Rename) has been added to AutoCAD_English as "Most Downloaded Paid Apps December" (I know)!

Since updating my website back in early January, BlackBox apps are now used in 15 countries, and by employees working for many of the Engineering News Record's Top Global Design Firms!

apps.jpg

I'm incredibly thankful to to all who have purchased this, and my other app(s) from Autodesk Exchange over the past eight months... Thank you!

Cheers :beer:

Congratulations Blackbox, really nice to see things shaping up for you so quickly.

Seems like only yesterday, your reality was quite different.

You can't keep a good man down! :beer:

Thank you, my friend. Your kindness is always appreciated.

It was quite dark for a time. It's amazing how quickly everything can change, and all we can do really, is be prepared. Despite any challenge or success life may throw at you... This too shall pass.

I'm very humbled by, and grateful for the many blessings I have in my life. I simply strive to do better tomorrow what I did today. Even knowing all of the good, the bad, and the ugly... To end up where I am today, I'd do it all over again.

Cheers

I received an email from Autodesk today informing me that my product (Right Click Rename) has been added to AutoCAD_English as "Most Downloaded Paid Apps December" (I know)!

I bought the right click rename app a while back for when I was renaming several hundred blocks within a block library and found it very useful.

Out of interest, what sort of download numbers are we talking about for an app to become no. 1? Is it in the 10s, hundreads or thousands? Feel free not to answer if you don't want to :)

I bought the right click rename app a while back for when I was renaming several hundred blocks within a block library and found it very useful.

Thank you, Organic - I'm very pleased to have offered a product that you found to be useful in your work.

Out of interest, what sort of download numbers are we talking about for an app to become no. 1? Is it in the 10s, hundreads or thousands? Feel free not to answer if you don't want to :)

I'm taking this news as a compliment, more so than to the bank, I assure you... It is a very modest number (10's). The lowest month since launching the app in fact, which illustrates how slow December must be for Exchange generally.

To-date, the months for most downloads of this particular app, were October 2013, and January 2014... And those numbers pale in comparison to the downloads of free apps. I have more than triple the downloads of my one free app, than I do for all my paid apps combined.

Much the same way one does not work an entry level job for the money, rather to learn skills that will benefit one's future, this too is not lucrative on it's own, but has allowed me to learn a great deal, and to pursue related opportunities that make the time, and effort worth-while.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Awesome tool. The only problem I have is: I need to click on Command Prompt first in order to paste my desired name and assign it to my block. Otherwise AutoCAD will ask me for a insertion point for PASTECLIP.

Awesome tool. The only problem I have is: I need to click on Command Prompt first in order to paste my desired name and assign it to my block. Otherwise AutoCAD will ask me for a insertion point for PASTECLIP.

Thank you, bababarghi :); I appreciate your feedback, and will look into what can be done in the next update.