Opinions on scanners

jmerch

We are looking to get a scanner (capable of full size sheets) to scan plans to PDF. We had an older "full size copier" but it's on it's last leg and a scanner would be more beneficial. However, I don't think we want to spend a lot of it b/c it wouldn't be an everyday use. I'm just curious what others out there know or think about different brands, options, prices?

Any input appreciated.

So would you be looking to buy a large format inkjet printer with scanning capability or just a stand-alone scanner?

So would you be looking to buy a large format inkjet printer with scanning capability or just a stand-alone scanner?

Actually, we were just looking for stand-alone but I'd like to hear opinions of the "all-in-one" too.

We were faced with a similar problem, i.e. - an engineering copier (large format) on its last leg. Fortunately we found a last minute fix. However, we decided to purchase a Canon iPF760 large format "D" size inkjet printer that had the option of adding a scanner at a later date. Buying both separately does add to the cost however.

Interesting, we have a Canon iPDF710 plotter (though I'd like a different one). I'll have to look into that.

The thought was that once the Xerox 3030 engineering copier (analog not digital) finally gave up the ghost we could scan our original paper/vellum/mylar/sepia drawings then print them using the 760. In essence it would be both plotter for our CAD drawings and scanner/printer.

Right, initially I was just checking on stand alone scanners like Xerox, but then you mentioned the combined one which peaked my interest...checking on the Colortrac scanning system for the iPDF710 right now.

Hi we replaced our old HP Designjet 500 with an HP Designjet T2300 which is both plotter & scanner.

I guess we have had it well over 6 months now & so far have only good things to say about it. The one we have scans to pdf with good results but does make large files but then that is to be expected when scanning large drawings as it picks up everything. Yes even the coffe stains!

One advantage is that you can plot from or scan to a memory stick via the USB on the front. Handy for the engineers.

Scans to both colour & mono & is fast.

I did scan some really old copies the other day & didn't hold much hope of being able to read them as a pdf but apart from one they were ok. There was even one that was on film, result was a bit dark but readable.

Also copies drawings from exisiting hard copies.

Plotting is also fast but then anything probably is after our old one!

We have it on the network & it does not require its own pc or anything which would have been the case with the Xerox we looked at. Just an I.P adress.

Holds two rolls of paper so no need to switch or waste paper. We have it as two sizes A1 & A0 not sure if you could have both the same size but different paper?

Should you choose to you can also monitor costs from the software.

As I say only positive things to say about it but would be worth getting a demo which was what we did. Be warned it's not cheap!

Be warned it's not cheap!

That's what I have to weigh :). As I said, it doesn't get much use so I've got to price them out and see what's best for the cost.

I think the one standalone digital scanner we looked at cost $12,000. We would not get enough use out of it to justify the cost as we produce drawings mainly for use in-house.

Same here, we're not plotting multiple sets for submission. It's a lot of in house. The scans would be to scan in marked up sets or taking older sets we've received and scanning them in.

You might want to look into simply outsourcing that work. It would be considerably cheaper. Consider a ten year life cycle for s scanner, how many drawings per year you anticipate scanning.

I just bought an Oce Plotwave 350, gray scale plotter and color scanner. Great scanner and fast plotting. It was about $16K.

It can print out about 6 "D" sheets in a minute!

Had a rep come in and inform me of the next printer up from what we have, with scanner for $7800. Just need to have the office discussion about it :)

:)

We just got an HP DesignJet T2300 here, it is really fantastic color plotter, scanner, copier and was

As per my earlier post this is the one we got. Last week one of our enginers had "borrowed" some really old drawings from a site. They were a mixture od old Cad copies, old hand drawn ones that were really yellow with age & one on film. All had the "polo" tape stuck on the end so it was with some worry about catching & tearing them I did scan them. Other than one of which the original quality was really poor all of them scanned really well. So if anyone else is thinking about this one I would say get a demo it really is good. Find old copies for scanning & your biggest files for plotting & ask to use these at the demo

What ever you buy check out the price of inks and printheads and any other parts that require normal use and replace.

I had always used HP and thought they were great until this last job where they have a Ricoh MP W2400.

If you print a lot it will be worth the money in time. The HP's I used (1050C Plus & 800) were about 2 min per page and changing paper was a hassle to get lined up straight.

The Ricoh is 21 seconds when cold for the first page, then 6 seconds after that. Changing paper is about 30 seconds for a 500ft roll.

Buy a refurbished unit if possible.

Sure $$$ is a big factor but saving time will easily make up the difference.

We currently have an OCE TDS 300 Plotter and an OCE TS4032 Scanner (both are a getting a bit old). The software loaded on the computer we use for the scanner actually allows us to scan and plot (essentially copy) directly to the TDS 300 Plotter, which is very nice. We initially had the plotter and eventually realized we would need the scanner and this setup worked out quite well actually.