3ds Max Helpers

tzframpton

Does anybody use Helpers? If so, how do you use them? I Googled about the Grid Helper but I'm not having much luck. What I'm wanting to do is, while in a 3D View, work on a different plane other than Top. In AutoCAD you use the UCS command, and in Revit you Set your Workplane to whatever you want. Revit is REALLY easy to manipulate this, but I'm kind of at a loss in 3ds now?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, it's super simple to do it in Modo too. Just select a polygon and click the "Align Workplane to Selection" button. Couldn't be any easier.

In Studio Max, if you want to use the Grid Helper to place a temporary workplane on the face of an object, you need to enable "AutoGrid" first. Then click on the face where you want the grid to be and drag out the grid. Then, with the grid still selected, go to the "Tools" menu > "Grids and Snaps" and click "Activate Grid Object".

Hope that made sense? :unsure:

Sorry it took so long to reply. Photoshop crashed on me twice while I was making the little graphic. Not sure what's going on there? :?

Untitled-1.jpg

Ahhhh, gotcha! Thanks.... That gave me the ability to work on another plane in 3D View. Not as intuitive as Revit but hey, definitely gets what I need. Let me monkey around with this for a bit then I'm sure I'll be back for more.

8)

Edited by tzframpton

That gave me the ability to work on another plane in 3D View. Not as intuitive as Revit but hey, definitely gets what I need.

I'm thinking a Maxscript could probably be written to automate the process. I've never done much with scripting in Max, but maybe I should take a look and see if I can come up with something. I'll check into it on Monday when I get back to my computer.