3ds Sun & Sky

tzframpton

Attached is an import from Revit... I exported a model as an FBX and it imported wonderfully. Even grabbed cameras, photometric lights, etc. Can someone look at my Sun Properties and see if I have some discrepancies? When I render, it comes out all white with few speckles so I assume my exposure control is off, or too much brightness on my light source.

Also, what's a good way to add a plane? Just add a rectangle and apply a material to it?

Thanks in advance!

Link to screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4989089/Images/cadtutor/2013-07-24%20-%203ds%20Sun%20and%20Sky/3ds_sun.PNG

Open up your Environment and Effects dialog and make sure your "Exposure Control" is set to "mr Photographic" and your "Exposure Value" is somewhere between 14 to 15.

To add a plane, just go to your "Object Type" rollout and add a Standard Primitive "Plane".

exposure.jpg

plane.jpg

Perfect!! Man I would have never found that one. Thanks for the tip... I'll look into reading up more about this option. So far the render turned out great. This now officially gets me excited to jump into 3ds for all rendering purposes.

:)

Glad I could help. :)

Just make sure, whenever you're creating a daylight system, always answer "Yes" to the pop-up message. If you answer yes, your exposure settings will be set automatically. If you answer "No", your exposure control will be set to "No exposure control" and you will have to manually set your preferences in the "Environment and Effects" dialog.

exposure2.jpg

Oh okay, good tip. I never saw that alert... maybe because the Sun Light was imported from Revit's settings in the FBX export. I'll definitely remember this for when I'm starting from scratch. Now I want to make some interior renders of this project... I might get started on this tonight. Even though all the modeling was done in Revit, it gets me started in applying materials and the rendering settings, etc. I might be working a bit backwards, but as washed-down as the mentral ray options are in AutoCAD, Revit's are even worse. So I'd say it's a good thing to go ahead with all renderings in 3ds.

:)

Oh, I didn't realize the daylight was imported from Revit. That's why you didn't see the alert and the exposure control was not set.

I can't believe Revit's rendering options are worse than Autocad's. That's really surprising. Oh well, at least you're on the right track now with 3ds. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Are you using .IES files on those lights?

A lot of lighting companies provide .ies files online. If you know exactly what kind of light is going in the socket you may be able to find a .ies file to give you the most accurate results.