Convert a block reference to point

Wimpy1981

Ive just started trying to teach myself Civils 3D using online tutorials etc.

At the moment I'm trying to create a surface from a topo dwg and from what I can gather I need to insert points to create surface, however the spot heights etc use a block reference rather than a point.

Is it possible to convert a block reference(cross hair using two lines) to a point(including the X,Y,Z attributes) so I can use it in Civils?

You need to first create a DTM in C3D and then you can import the existing blocks in your drawing as points in the DTM. It is well documented in the Help files, which can also be viewed on line if you do not have C3D installed on your computer.

An alternative method:

Assuming the point cross block is the same in the drawing (and not different block definitions for different layers etc) then you could edit the point cross block and just place a single AutoCad point at the centre and delete the other lines comprising the cross. Then after closing the block editor, explode all instances of the point cross block in the drawing and you will then have points in their place.

Make sure that the block properties (especially z elevation) have not been scaled to some value other than (most likely) 1 before exploding the blocks (as otherwise you might end up with erogenous elevation data for the points).

Then import them into Civil 3D and create a surface etc etc.