Moving Level

addesigns

So, my co-worker asked me how to move a level without it deleting the floor plan. I went to his desk and he was in section view. He clicked and dragged an elevation and he received an error message saying that that levels view will be deleted. I told him just to type in the distance that he wanted to move it.

My question is does anyone know why MEP would tell you that it is going to delete a floor plan for that elevation because he was clicking and dragging? Again I understand this is not the best way to move a level but when I went to my machine and tried it in structural and architectural i never received that message. The level moved. I had to try it out to see what mine would say.

Anyone know of a reason for the error mesage?

Did he drag a Level, or did he drag an Elevation? You might be referring to the same thing but these are two separate entities in Revit.

And did it say delete Level or delete Floor Plan? I can't imagine why a Level will prompt for deletion... I think this may be a mistake in words, but just wanting to be sure. :)

Anyways, if a Floor Plan is going to be deleted, well.... no worries. All a Floor Plan is, is a "snapshot" of the model. So just create a new Floor Plan and apply the Visibility Graphics that you need. Or, if you want to get really fancy and efficient in Revit, start using View Templates, which basically template-izes Visibility Graphics for whatever View you create.

And yes, Levels are easily manipulated by going to any Section or Elevation View and either manually typing the distance or Move/Drag the Level to the desired location. It really is no more than that. Easy peasy!!

8)

Ha, I meant to say mve the level when he was in a section view. It stated that it was going to delete the level that he was trying to move. I figured that if it did get deleted that it wasnt actually gone, maybe just the annotation but he has view templates set up for hs plans anyways so not all would have been lost.

I just figured I would ask since I always get a quick and intelligable response on this forum.

Yeah, the Level won't be deleted, but other things might... things like associated dimensions or other constraints, which is fine. Just read the error and you can make sense of it. Also note, that any and all errors, if you expand them, it gives you an ID#. You can cancel the operation and type that ID# in the Select by ID tool (Manage Tab > Inquiry Panel) and see exactly what's going to delete or change. This is the power of a parametric environment!

This way you can familiar with Revit's expectations. Revit is like American women... it'll tell you something's wrong, just not exactly what's wrong so it's up to you to figure it out.